Recipes

Friday, June 29, 2012

salt + vinegar kale chips

Franklin is home! He is feeling much, much better, but is still working out whatever little bug he got. He has pretty much returned to his normal self, but you can tell he is just exhausted. I am so happy to have the little guy home. :)





Sleepy boy...

While Franklin napped, I decided to make him some food. The vet had some bland dog food that I could have bought, but I decided I would just make it myself to save some money... although that $8 for dog food is pennies in comparison to what we spent at the vet this week. Ugh!

I simply overcooked some brown rice in water and boiled some chicken tenderloins and then shredded them. We are starting him on a very small amount of food to start and we will slowly increase depending how he feels.


While I made Franklin his food, I decided to give kale chips a try. I have been reading and hearing about kale chips for the better part of 2 years, but I had never tried them. My produce box had a bag of kale in it last week, so I was excited to give it a shot. I am so glad I did.

Salt + Vinegar Kale Chips
no measurements, just use your best judgment.

Kale
Olive Oil
Vinegar
Sea Salt

I washed the kale and then spun it dry in my salad spinner, but paper towels would work just as well.


I added the kale to a zip lock bag with some olive oil and shook it up a bit. Then I massaged the oil into the leaves through the bag. Once they were coated, I added a few shakes of red wine vinegar to the bag and shook some more.

Next, I spread the leaves on a cookie sheet and added some sea salt. Baked at 350 F for about 30-35 minutes and they were done. Nice and crispy!


I had every intention of putting these on a nice plate and taking a better picture, but they never made it off of the cookie sheet. :) I think I will be making more tonight.

We have all the ingredients and the recipe ready to go for How Sweet's Grilled Corn and Cheddar Quinoa, but we still haven't made it. I have started to make it the last 2 nights, but due to Franklin getting sick, and then trying to get the house in order last night, I just gave up on making it. Tonight, it is happening! It looks so delicious!

Instead of making a real dinner last night, I opted for some leftover rice from Franklin's food and an egg with red pepper flakes on top. It was easy and so yummy.  I heart egg yolk so much.


It was another long night last night, making sure Franklin could get outside as soon as he needed to, so I am pretty tired. A certain someone, whom I won't name here on the blog... cough..Mike..cough, was supposed to come downstairs in the middle of the night and let me go upstairs to sleep while he stayed with Franklin... but that didn't happen. Some team player. ;) I hope after getting our house cleaned tonight, I can hit the hay pretty early.

I have a BIG weekend ahead of me, celebrating my birthday with my friends. I am so excited about what they have planned and can only imagine the stuff they haven't even told me about yet.

Have a good one everyone! I am off until next Thursday, so if you don't hear from me before then, just know that I will probably be drinking a margarita by the pool instead of working.

Happy 4th of July, too!



No comments:

Post a Comment