Recipes

Friday, July 6, 2012

30


Settle in... it is going to be a long one.


On Monday, I turned the big ole 3-0. I think the anticipation of turning 30 was way worse than actually turning 30. Once I really thought about it, I am really happy about being 30.



I spent this last week on a little 'stay-cation.' I took some time off from work to just stay home and enjoy my surroundings. It was glorious.

My weekend started on Friday night, where Mike and I catered to our healing puppy dog, cleaned up our house, and relaxed. I made How Sweet's Cheddar and Corn Quinoa, which turned out pretty good.


I wish I had taken more pictures on my iPhone so I could share the awesomeness that was Saturday. Unfortunately, I only took pictures with my real camera, and getting those onto the computer, let alone the blog, is pretty impossible. You will have to just imagine how wonderful it was through my description and a few of Lindsay's photos.

For my birthday, my friends and Mike planned a celebration which included lots of wine and good food. We headed to one of my favorite Raleigh restaurants, Irregardless, for a lunch time cooking class and wine tasting. The cooking class was more like a hang out in the kitchen while the chef tells you what he is doing and you drink copious amounts of rum and wine, but hey, it was still pretty awesome.


Then it was time to eat. :)


We had seared ahi tuna with tuna tartar, wasabi pea puree, and jicama, cucumber, and seaweed salad. It was incredible.

After lunch, 2 trays of dessert were brought out for the table to share. Of course, I could have eaten the entire plate myself.


When everyone was finished eating, we all headed over to Lindsay and Fred's pool clubhouse, where a wonderful little party was put together for me. I had an absolute blast spending time with my friends, dancing, singing, and eating cake.



--

Sunday, Mike and I spent the day lounging around, watching movies, and just recovering from Saturday's shenanigans. Plus, it was about 105 degrees on Sunday, so indoors seemed like the most comfortable way to spend the day.

Monday was my actual birthday. My mom came into town and we started the day with a birthday breakfast at The Flying Biscuit.



We spent the remainder of the day shopping our faces off at the mall. That is one of the things my mom and I used to do together all the time, shop! We haven't shopped like that together in a long time, so it was really fun to spend the day with her.

She headed back home that evening and I waited for Mike to get home so we could go out to dinner. Dinner was amazing! We tried out a new restaurant that we have been eying called Midtown Grille. This might be a new favorite spot for special occasions. The food was delicious, the service was excellent, and the ambiance was perfect.

We started with a little wine and some calamari.



For my entree, I ordered the NY Strip steak and it was one of the best steaks I have ever had. It was cooked PERFECTLY and the flavor was amazing.


Mike ordered the beef shortribs and they were also very good.


We were too full for any dessert, but our stomachs were happy!

--

Tuesday, we woke up and I headed out for a run. I needed to get out there and do some running after all the horrible eating I had been doing all weekend. I went for a quick 3 mile run around the neighborhood and got to use some of my new running gear. Mike and Lindsay got me a bunch of new running stuff for my birthday and I ended up finding a big sale on work out clothes while shopping with my mom, so I am fully equipped now.


I feel so official! Another awesome thing I got from my dear friend Lindsay, is a RoadID bracelet! I have been wanting one for a while and I was so excited to open that gift!!! I would show it to you, but I don't really want any creeps to see my personal info and phone numbers... and I have no idea how to get fancy and blur those out... instead, here is the box!


It was really hot out, but the run went pretty smoothly. I have been a little slack lately and we are a short 5 weeks (!!) til Mexico, so it is time to kick it into high gear!

After running, Mike and I decided to cancel out every calorie that I had burned that morning and went out for hot dogs. There is a place called The Roast Grill in downtown Raleigh that is super old and a total dive, but we had heard amazing things about their hot dogs. Since they have very limited hours on the weekends and evenings, we figured it was a good opportunity to try it out.


The verdict? Pretty good! They don't have anything but hot dogs there, and they only have certain toppings (one of them NOT being ketchup, they don't allow it in the place), but I really liked my hot dogs. The place is super old fashioned and they sell soda out of old glass bottles, so it was a good experience, but since it was super small and crowded in there, I don't know that I would go back. Luckily, we have been wanting to go there for over 3 years now and finally got the opportunity, so that is probably not an option anyway.


We spent the rest of Tuesday at the pool and then headed to the movies to see Ted. It was really funny.

--

The 4th of July was bittersweet for me since it was the end of my mini vacation but it was the 4th of July... who doesn't love the 4th of July?? We spent it with friends, which is always a good time.


We went to a bar that had a beer 'tent' and watched the fireworks from there. I use the term 'tent' loosely since there was no actual tent. It was just a roped off area of the parking lot with a beer truck in the middle.



--

About the whole turning 30 thing... I am not phased. I am the happiest and healthiest I have ever been in my life. I have a wonderful husband, amazing friends, and a great family. I have nothing to be sad about and I am more proud of myself than I have ever been. Turning 30 has really just made me realize all that I have and all that I will have in the future. I am really happy with where I am in life, and I wouldn't change a bit of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment