Recipes

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

party taters

I think someone really missed his mama the last few weeks.


He has been attached to me since he got home on Sunday. This was my view of him while I laid in bed last night. He was seriously on.top.of.me. He laid there for a good 20-30 minutes, until I finally needed to move my legs. He normally doesn't stay anywhere for that long.

This morning, I decided to skip the gym in order to spend a little snuggle time with Franklin and Deluca. It was raining, I am working at the hospital tonight, and Mike and I weren't carpooling, so it seemed like the perfect opportunity to stay in bed a little longer. Franklin was, of course, a big fan.


Deluca was actually pretty cuddly this morning as well, but his definition of cuddling is laying next to me with my only view being his tail, so I didn't think I needed to photograph that.

Most mornings, these two just play and wrestle while I get ready. Today, they laid on the bathroom floor the entire time, just hanging out close by.


Spoiled, rotten.

Ok, enough about my dogs.

Yesterday's lunch was leftover chicken on top of some spring mix salad greens, carrots, and tomatoes, with some goat's cheese thrown in.


I also had a greek yogurt and a pear to get me throughout the afternoon. I found these greek yogurts on sale last week and their nutrition facts actually looked a little better than chobani, so I decided to give them a try. They are pretty good, but have nothing on chobani. Very few flavor selections and the yogurt seems much thicker. Definitely worth it though when they are 5 for $5.


Last night, Mike and I headed over to a young adults bible study with some of the people at our church. We had both gone our respective ways last week with the boys and girls, but this week, everyone came together. I am glad we decided to join them since they are all around our age and are in similar stages of life as we are. I was pretty nervous to go to a church event like this, but I was pretty surprised how much we had in common with everyone. Anyway, we were told that everyone brings a dish to share before getting into our discussion. Being that this was my first time with the group, I was kinda nervous about what to bring.

I decided to go with something potato based for a many reasons. 1. most everyone likes potatoes. 2. it is filling 3. it is easy. 4. it is a great way to get white potatoes out of my house so that we don't eat them all. Our produce box had white potatoes last week, so I already had them on hand.

I searched for a recipe all day yesterday for these potatoes and finally thought I had found something of interest on a recipe website. When I finished making them, they tasted extremely bland and had no flavor at all. I decided to just throw together some of my own ingredients in order to spice them up a bit. The end result was pretty good.

Party Taters
adapted from Taste of Home - Barbecued Potato Wedges
4-5 white potatoes, cleaned and cut into wedges
1 tablespoon EVOO
2 tablespoons Earth Balance (or butter), melted
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 tablespoons garlic (or garlic powder)
Sea Salt
Ground Pepper
1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 450F. Place EVOO into large baking dish and spread around to prevent sticking (cooking spray would also work). Add in potato wedges, butter, honey, half of the chili powder, half of the garlic powder, some sea salt and pepper. Toss to coat the potatoes. Bake for 25 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Now add the remaining chili powder, garlic powder, and parmesan cheese.

pre-baked pic
These were super easy to make and we even had some leftovers that Mike and I will be having for lunch. I love that honey was used in the potatoes since I would have never thought about using that.

Tomorrow we are back to car pooling, so I will be getting in a good gym session. Mike has been making protein shakes with my chocolate protein powder for the past week and today he made me one. It was really good! He added chocolate Sun Warrior powder, skim milk, vanilla greek yogurt, 1/2 a banana and some vanilla extract. I drank mine on the way to work and it kept me full for about 3 hours. It was really thick and chocolaty.


Have a great day, everyone!

Yesterday's Stats:
Calories (+) 121
Sodium (+) 351
Protein (+) 21

No comments:

Post a Comment