Recipes

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Butternut Squash Fries = FAIL

I like to think that I have a fully stocked kitchen with all of the necessary tools and gadgets that one would need. Compared to my kitchen before I got married, I would say that we have more than what we could ever need. However, each time my mom visits, she adds something to her list of things that she needs to get me for my kitchen. 

I attempted to make this recipe last night for Baked Butternut Squash Fries. With all the turkey and ham I have had over the last week (and all the leftovers I will continue to consume), I was really wanting only veggies last night.
After running a few errands after work, we didn't get home until about 7pm. Mike and I each had a piece of artichoke bread (leftover from Thanksgiving) while I cut up a butternut squash to make my fries. I know that fries should probably not make up an entire meal, but that is all I really wanted. :) 
I pinned the above recipe over 2 months ago to my "Healthy Meal Planning" board, so I was eager to try them out. It took almost an hour to cut up, coat in olive oil, and bake these fries, so when I pulled them out of the oven, only to find they were soggy and nothing of the "fry" variety... I was a little disappointed. I was too hungry to care. I threw the soft, mushy squash in a bowl, and ate my "fries" with a fork. I guess the rack that the recipe calls for is a must. Add it to the list, Mom!
Even though they were not fry-like, the flavor was delish!

Thanksgiving is OVA!
I need to be done with everything that is left over in my fridge and just toss it. As much as I hate to waste food, I have got to keep myself on track throughout the holidays. I haven't been very good over the last week with documenting my meals in my calorie counter app. I started back yesterday and hope to keep it up! Sodium is my serious downfall... I know I can technically have 2,300 mg of sodium per the recommended daily allowance, but I would really like to keep my intake under 1500mg. I guess I have good days and bad days



Yesterday's Stats
Breakfast - Egg White with leftover chopped ham and cheddar cheese, whole wheat toast with butter
Lunch - Leftover turkey breast, leftover mac and cheese and leftover green bean casserole
Dinner - 1 slice of artichoke/cheese bread, butternut squash "fries"
Dessert - M&M Ice Cream 

Calories (-) 45
Sodium (+) 1075
Protein (-) 31

No comments:

Post a Comment