Recipes

Friday, September 23, 2011

Kitchen FAIL = yummy!

Yesterday, Mike had requested that we make quionoa. I found this quite odd since I didn't think he liked it. I am a lover of all things quinoa. It is so much better than rice. in my opinion, because it doesn't leave me feeling too full and is so much better for you.

I had been wanting to make this new recipe I found for a mexican style quinoa that had mexican spices, salsa, corn and black beans. We got home, prepped all the food and started to boil the quinoa. We also decided to make a salsa smothered chicken to put on top. As we were cooking, we were also catching up on the millions of sit-coms that started this week (I love this time of year!). 30 minutes later, the quinoa was done. We had boiled the spices in the water, so that was already done. We added in the salsa and then made ourselves some bowls with quinoa on the bottom and some strips of the salsa smothered chicken on top. After we took our first few bites, we realized we had completely forgotten to add in the corn and black beans. They were still sitting in the strainer in the sink. I am sure they would have made this meal better, but even without them, it was outstanding. I will definitely be making this again, with the corn and black beans next time. I am so excited to eat the left overs for lunch today!
You can see why the black beans and corn would have been a nice added touch. Pretty boring.









Next, we decided to make M&M cookies for Mike to take to work with him. His work seriously has something to celebrate every week and they rotate who is bringing in the baked goods. This week was our week. Mike was trying to help make them since they were for him. He very simply asked me if he should add the ingredients into the standing mixer. I, while cleaning up from dinner and still watching sit-coms, answered yes. Completely forgetting to tell him that when you are making cookies, the dry ingredients need to be mixed separate from the wet ingredients. Doesn't everyone just know that?? By the time I had noticed, he had already added the eggs to the flours, powders and sugars. Oh well. I tried to scoop the eggs out and mix those with the butter, but the cookies ended up tasting great. I can't even remember the reason why you are supposed to keep the dry and wet separate, but I guess it doesn't make that big of a deal. I don't have a good picture to show you, but they were delish. 

So I guess our kitchen fails turned out to be winners! Love when that happens. :)

Breakfast - Overnight Oats with Mango
Lunch - leftover steak over a romaine salad with balsamic dressing and sweet potatoes on the side
Dinner - Mexican quinoa with baked salsa topped chicken
Snacks - apple, banana, fun sized three musketeers (prize at work), a handful of kettle cooked sea salt and vinegar chips, 1 M&M cookie and milk. Oh, and a spoonful of chocolate chip cookie dough almond butter. My snacks suck.

I am trying to stick to 1500 calories per day and 1500 mg of sodium per day. I will be adding my nutritional stats here:
Calories - (-)145
Sodium - (-)1674!!! Holy crap. I really need to decrease my sodium intake.
Protein - (+) 5 - I never get enough protein! Must be the quinoa!

Have a great weekend!

C

No comments:

Post a Comment