Recipes

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

My Motivation

Mike and I have 2 dogs, Deluca and Franklin. Deluca was Mike's before he and I met. We won't discuss that Deluca was actually a Christmas gift from an old girlfriend. I still claim him as mine since I am the only mother that pup ever knew. :) Deluca is just like my husband; laid back and care free. He is calm, sweet and all he wants out of life is to sleep, eat, and be pet, just like my husband. 

Franklin is a newbie in our family. We recently adopted him from the SPCA and he is only 6 months old. Although adorable, he is the complete opposite of Deluca and Mike. He has to be engaged at all times. If you are not petting him, he will nudge his head under your hand. He has separation anxiety and is so, very nosy. Mike thinks he is like me... whatever.

Franklin does not like to sleep. It is usually around 1 or 2 in the morning when I begin to re-think the decision to adopt this puppy. He is up every few hours, ready to play. If he can't get Mike or myself up to play with him, he will leap out of the bed on top of Deluca to wake him up. It drives me insane. Imagine waking up out of a dead sleep and having to scream at a dog that will not listen to you. It sucks.

Because I hate to lose any amount of the precious sleep I get, I find my motivation through Franklin. When I feel like going home and sitting on the couch after work, I take one look at those adorable brown eyes, sweet white paws and perky ears, and remember that if he does not get rid of some energy, he will keep me up all night. So we run. Every. Single. Night. He is a great running buddy. He makes running look so easy and pushes me when I slow down. And, do you want to know the best part? On the nights we run, he only wakes up about once throughout the night. I'll take those odds. 



No comments:

Post a Comment