Recipes

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Thirsty Thursday

Hey! Happy Thursday. I am so glad tomorrow is Friday and the weekend is almost here!

My run last night was not nearly as exciting as my run on Tuesday evening. I was fully aware that I was running the whole time, and so was Franklin. We were able to run the same amount, but that wonderful feeling was definitely not there last night. Oh well, at least it got done!
Franklin is ready to go!


I am not planning to run tonight since we have dinner plans for a good friend's birthday. There won't be much time between when I get home and we have to head to the restaurant. So today, I decided to do legs. I really can not do any type of cardio after a leg work out. My legs are like jelly and I just can not get into a groove. I have tried doing the elliptical and other forms of cardio, but it just doesn't work. My legs do not want to move after squats, lunges, calf raises and leg presses. I also got in a pretty good ab work out today since my abs were too sore yesterday.

I am glad I was able to stick to my goal of going to the gym for weight training at least 3 times this week. I still have tomorrow left, but I may just let myself sleep in since I have been so good the last 3 days. There is always Saturday morning if I want to get a 4th day in, but I am pretty happy with 3 so we will see. I will at least go for a run on Friday evening and maybe even on Saturday morning. I am going to take the whole day off on Sunday since we will be out of town with friends and it is the day after a football game. Those days are usually recovery days for me.


Today I wanted to talk a little about drinking. I feel that drinking has been a major component of weight loss and gain in my life and I want to share my thoughts on the topic.

Drinking is something that my friends and I do pretty often. It is much less frequent than it used to be, but it is still pretty much the only thing we do together. We plan get togethers, cook outs, birthday outings and holiday parties with drinking as the main focus. I have no problems having a few beers or a few glasses of wine with friends, I think that is healthy for friendships and a great way to unwind. It is when it becomes much more that I need to learn some self control. 

If I have one or two beers, or a few glasses of wine, I am usually fine the next day.  When I start having more like six or more beers or share a bottle or two of wine that I feel pretty rough the next day. Although I know that alcohol is a depressant, it seriously makes me depressed the next day. I don't just mean that I feel so hungover that I am depressed. I mean that I really feel down, negative and angry at myself the next day. I hate that feeling so much. Not to mention that when I am hungover, all I want is crap to eat. I want burgers and french fries, greasy fried chicken and pizza. Then, I get depressed because I just ate a bunch of crap. It is a viscous cycle.

Over the last year or two, I have tried to minimize my drinking to once per week. That has worked out great and I can usually stick to that rule. But now, I would like to try to only have three drinks per session. Although I only have myself to blame, I allow myself to get sucked in to drinking more than I had intended if my friends are drinking more.  I can set out with the best of intentions to only have a beer or a glass of wine... that usually quickly turns into more depending on how the crowd is drinking. I just would like to make those nights of drinking heavily a little further apart than every week or two.

Clearly too much...
 
The other problem is that when I am drinking, I usually don't care so much about what I eat. I will eat a lot and I don't make very healthy choices. I can usually wreck an entire week of eating healthy and working out on one, extremely fun, out of control, Saturday night. 

So tonight, I have a birthday dinner to attend where, more than likely, everyone will be drinking... heavily. My goal is to have a glass of wine with dinner and then have one glass of wine or one beer after dinner. I've been sticking to my goals so far this week, let's see if I can do this one too! Wish me luck!


Yesterday Stats:
Calories - (+) 11 (whoo hoo!)
Sodium - (-) 542
Protein - (+) 11 (whoo hoo!)

Breakfast - egg whites with cheese, sea salt and pepper, whole grain toast with earth balance
Snack -gala apple
Lunch - Spicy Thai Tuna on whole wheat sandwich thin with celery and almond butter
Snack - dum dum lollipop
Dinner - salsa topped chicken breast (1/2) with baked potato - loaded with earth balance, a sprinkle of cheddar cheese and a small teaspoon of sour cream, black beans and corn
Dessert - 1 Banana Chocolate Chip cookie with 1 cup of skim milk (thanks Lindsay!)
Looks gross, but it was delish!


Work outs:

 40 minutes of chest/back weight training - flat presses, incline presses, pull ups, dips, lat pull downs, rows
30 minutes of running with the Frankfurter

No comments:

Post a Comment