Recipes

Monday, July 9, 2012

decisions, decisions...

This past weekend, Mike and I headed to Huntington, West Virginia to see my family. My family has a big reunion each year and we have had to miss for the last few years due to weddings and other obligations, so I was really excited to get to go this year.

It was a fairly quick trip, leaving on Friday after work and returning on Sunday, but it was well worth it. I didn't take too many pictures on my phone, since we really just spent the days and nights catching up with family and watching the kids play, but I snapped a few while on a run on Saturday morning. My sister, Mike, and I went out for a 3 mile run near my Aunt and Uncle's house and although humid, it was really pretty.



We started out at my Aunt and Uncles and ran along a trail that led to a park.


The park we ran around was really cute, so of course I had to take a few photos.


When we got back near my Aunt and Uncle's house, we were right at 3 miles, so we called it a day.


With the massive amount of eating that was consumed later that day, we needed to do a little calorie burn beforehand. After the run, we spent the day at my uncles. It was a great weekend full of family and fun. Of course there was plenty of time with this little gal... who happens to have turned 5 years old today! I can't even get over how big she is getting! Here she is, taking self photos on my iPhone, when I wasn't even paying attention and climbing a tree all by herself.



Happy Birthday, Lil Bug! Aunt Dee Dee loves you soooo much!

--

A while ago, I talked about considering doing a half marathon this coming September. I thought I had my mind made up to go ahead and register, but now I am reconsidering. I really want to do it, but I have a few hesitations.

1. Timing - The half that I was considering doing was the Rock 'N' Roll Virginia Beach half marathon on September 2. I haven't started training for it, and although I think I could still get the training in, I am a little nervous about injury and trying to do too much, too fast.

2. Money - The cost is up to $100 to enter and is only getting more and more expensive as the time passes. $100 is a lot of money just to accomplish a goal. Plus, the plan was to run it with Mike, and now we are talking $200. If I wait until next week to decide, the price is even more expensive.

3. Travel - We have been going non-stop this summer and won't be calming down until the end of August. I don't know if I want to throw yet another out of town trip onto our schedule, right when we thought we were done for a while.

So now, I am thinking I will look for some more challenging runs to do around here, that don't cost as much. Maybe even push back the half marathon to another time so that the weather is cooler and I will have plenty of time to train. There are a few options, including the Neuse River Bridge Run in New Bern, where my mom lives, the Just Think First Thanksgiving day half marathon here in Raleigh, or the City of Oaks half marathon, also in Raleigh. City of Oaks is the full marathon that Mike and his friends are planning to run in and I was hoping to be able to cheer him on along the sidelines, not running as well. I guess I am going to do a little more research and then decide.  Any suggestions for me?



No comments:

Post a Comment