Recipes

Monday, July 23, 2012

meatloaf in july

We had a pretty low key weekend, not nearly as exciting as the weekend before. We had dinner with friends on Friday for Natasha's birthday, then called it an early night so that we could tackle our huge to do list on Saturday.

Saturday morning, we were up and out of bed by 6:45, partly because of annoying dogs, and partly because we wanted to get an early run in before the humidity got too bad. We were out the door by 7:00 and did 5 miles around our neighborhood. I was absolutely drenched by the time we got home, so I guess the humidity was already bad. It was a slow run, but it was pretty good. I am glad we got it over with early, so we had the rest of the day to work on other things.

Starting this upcoming weekend, we have a very busy schedule. Each weekend, we are out of town until we leave for a week and a half of weddings/vacation in Mexico and Providence, RI. We used this past weekend to prepare ourselves and get some things done that will need to be done by the end of the summer. 

One of the items on my to do list was to go bridesmaid dress shopping with Lindsay. We definitely found "the one(s)" and had a blast trying on bunches of dresses. After shopping, I introduced Lindsay to the fabulous world of ring cleaning, and we grabbed lunch while our rings were soaking at the jewelers. During lunch, Lindsay mentioned she was making a turkey meatloaf for dinner. I thought that was a little weird considering it is July and 100+ degrees outside, but for some reason, I began to instantly crave some.

Lindsay assured me it was a lighter version of the winter time favorite and forwarded me the recipe from Real Simple.  The spinach, egg white, and ground turkey combination definitely had me interested so I decided to give it a try. It turned out fantastic.


I made a few adjustments to the recipe by subbing whole grain oats for the breadcrumbs, cutting the parsley measurements in half, and per Lindsay's suggestion, cutting the onion and spinach measurements in half as well. I decided to make mashed red skinned potatoes and corn on the cob to summerfy this meatloaf even more.


Mike and I both really enjoyed this meal and I am really glad Lindsay suggested it. Thanks so much!



While everything was cooking, I decided to use up some kale in the refrigerator the only way that I know how... kale chips. :)


They were a great snack to have while we were waiting for dinner to be ready.

We had some great fruit this week in our weekly produce box, including cherries (love), strawberries, and more blueberries. I feel like I hit the produce jackpot with this delivery. The only problem, how are we going to get rid of all these blueberries before we leave on Thursday? I know we will get through the strawberries and cherries, but I really only take a small amount of blueberries in my oats everyday, and we have 2 full pints to get through.

Since the lemon blueberry muffins that I made last week were such a huge hit, I decided to make more yesterday.  This time, I threw in some chopped strawberries to make them a little more exciting.


They turned out so delicious. The strawberries give them a gooey, sweet flavor that goes so wonderful with lemon.

I had one this morning with a little butter on top and it was absolute perfection. This recipe is so easy and I plan on continuing to make these for as long as we have blueberries. I am considering making an extra batch to throw in the freezer for when we don't have any... That might have to happen before we leave on Thursday.



I also made some super creamy overnight oats with greek yogurt, strawberries, and blueberries for breakfast this morning.


Don't want those berries to go bad!

--

This morning I did 3 miles around Mike's office and it was pretty sluggish. I just didn't have it in me today and I ran super slow... maybe that meatloaf had something to do with it? I felt heavy and tired, and HOT. It was only 8:15 in the morning, but the heat was so miserable. A friend told me over the weekend that runners only get a few "great" runs per week. 3/5 runs are just bad but you have to get through them. That is a pretty true statement and I guess today was one of my bad ones. I can look forward to my next run and hope it is a good, or great one.

Have a good Monday, everyone! I've got leftover meatloaf and mashed red potatoes for lunch with cherries for dessert. It is going to be a good day. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment