Recipes

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

half marathon decision and some recent eats

Can I just tell you what a major slacker I have been this week? I feel like I can not get enough sleep and it takes every ounce of energy to wake up each morning to get to work on time, let alone get a work out in. Although totally worth it, these crazy busy weekends are really starting to affect my weekday routines. I am really looking forward to these next few weekends of staying home and saving some energy.

I guess it is time to get my butt moving because after much discussion with Mike, I have decided to run in the Neuse River Bridge Run, Carolina East Health System Half Marathon! Now that I have made this decision, I am really excited for it. For one, it is taking place in New Bern, a short 1 hour and 45 minutes away and also where my mom lives. It will still be a weekend away from home, but at least it is a few months after we finish with our crazy summer traveling, and it isn't quite as far as Virginia Beach.

Carolina East Health System is actually the very first hospital I worked for when I graduated from nursing school, so I kind of feel like it is meant to be. Also, it is only $45 to enter. I know I probably won't get nearly the swag and recognition since it is not a big fancy race, but I don't really care about all that. I really just want to accomplish this goal, and I don't want to spend a ton of money doing it.

The race is on October 20, which gives me plenty of time to train the correct way, preventing injury (and anxiety) from training too quickly. I plan on using Hal Higdon's half marathon training program and I am trying to decide between the Novice 1 or Novice 2 plan. The Novice 1 is for people who have never run before and only have a basic fitness level of 3 miles 3-4 times per week. The Novice 2 is for those who have run 5K, 10K, or even some half marathons. I think that I probably fit more into the Novice 2 category, but I plan on reading both pretty thoroughly to see which is the best option for me.

The plan calls for a 12 week training period, which, if I want to be ready by October 20, I would need to start training the last week of July or 1st week of August. I will be in Mexico/Boston/Providence for a full week in August, but I think it will be fun to continue the training in fun places and check out some new scenery.  Now, I just need to convince my sister to train and come run with me. :)

--

Recent Eats

Since we got home a little late on Sunday, and we didn't have time to put together lunches (plus we were out of bread). Instead, we each grabbed lunch out. I went to a place near my work called William's Gourmet Kitchen and got a veggie wrap with sweet potato fries.


I was able to save half the wrap for yesterday's lunch as well, but those sweet potato fries were gone!

Monday night, we had my favorite meal as of right now, roasted veggies with a fried egg on top. I love it so much!


I am seriously considering having it again tonight.

Last night, Mike and I made a huge batch of chicken and veggie stir fry. We cut up a bunch of vegetables, including some Asian white eggplant that we got in our produce box.


We used some linguine pasta, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, and roasted garlic to spice the dish up a bit and it turned out fantastic. I am excited to eat the leftovers for lunch today.


We have come up with a pretty great meal plan for the week, which makes life so much easier. I love leaving work knowing exactly what we are having for dinner and that the ingredients are already at home waiting for me. I wish I would be more organized and do this every week!


-- 

Franklin

Can we just talk for a minute about what an adorable dog I have? I know, I know... usually I am talking about how annoying he is, but seriously, he is so freaking cute! I have some photo evidence for you. Please note, all of these pictures are of Franklin ON TOP OF ME. It is impossible for him to sit next to me, he must be on top of me, at all times.

"Please pet me?"
"I am too tired to get up, so just pet me."

"If you won't pet me, I will just go to sleep."
"SIKE, now pet me!"

2 comments:

  1. Challenge accepted. I will run that half with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!!! So exciting! Let's start training! :)

      Delete