Recipes

Monday, July 16, 2012

music, food trucks, and wine

I am going to have to break this past weekend up in a few parts. There is just too much goodness to share!

Our weekend started on Friday night, when Mike and I rushed home from work to change and head to Music on the Porch, an event that occurs twice a month during the summer in downtown Raleigh. I was pretty pumped about this event and knew it was considered family friendly, but boy were we surprised just how family friendly it really was! We were the ONLY people there without kids, which didn't really bother us, but it was kinda funny.


The sky was a little gnarly looking, but we actually didn't get any rain while we were out there. Here is the low-down... bring some chairs or a blanket, a bottle of wine or some beer, pack a picnic dinner (if you have time) or buy some food there, and relax while listening to some local music. Any event where I can bring my own wine and have an excuse to drink it out of a mason jar is a pure win in my book. :)




The event was close to a few restaurants, but they also had one food truck you could order from if you wanted. Mike and I definitely wanted to go that route, since I have an obsession with food trucks... and mason jars.

Klausie's Pizza
This isn't just regular pizza, either. It is deep dish, Chicago style pizza with some insane toppings and varieties. Of course I couldn't go with just a normal pepperoni pizza, I had to get something different, and I had to make Mike get something different too, 'cause that is how I roll.



The pizza on the left was called the Fire Belly, pineapple puree, ham, hot thai chili butter, sweet red onion, and sweet basil (grown on the dashboard of the truck). The pizza on the right had bbq sauce, red onion, and pulled pork. Both were amazeballs.

I think it is awesome that Raleigh has an event like this. It was cheap, it was fun, and it was really a great way to unwind after a long work week. I think we need to borrow some kids next time we go, but I would definitely go again.


Mike and I enjoyed the music for about 2 hours before heading out. The sky was freaking us out that we were going to get drenched.  Plus, we were out of wine. :)

--

Saturday morning, we had planned on getting a long run in. Since we haven't been running much in the last few weeks, I don't know where we got the idea that we would be able to just get up and run 8-10 miles, but clearly we were mistaken. We didn't get started until almost 10 or 11 and it was pretty toasty out. I made it about 3 miles before I had to take a break. When Mike saw me walking, he decided he had had about enough as well, so we walked for 2 miles before calling it quits.


We did hit up a new trail, though, and I really liked it. This trail is actually part of the marathon that Mike will be running in November, so he wants to start running different pieces of it to get familiar with it. I loved all the rolling hills and pastures that we ran through, but boy was it hot out there.


Right when we got back to the car, Mike and I decided to do a sprint lap around a track that we came across.


Mike ran his lap in 1 minute and 30 seconds and I ran mine in 1 minute and 40 or 45 seconds, I can't remember. It was fun to end our work out with a sprint, but we were both about to die when we finished.


Sweaty, post run picture... check!

--

We spent the rest of Saturday doing some things around the house and yard and making a ton of homemade foods for dinner and for the freezer. But, I will save that for the next post!

Before I forget, though, look what I saw on my run this morning!





Right as I turned a corner, I saw this guy just staring at me. He let me take a picture, but when I tried to get closer, he took off. I love seeing things like this while running! 



No comments:

Post a Comment