Recipes

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Good, The Bad, and The Horrible...

I had an eventful weekend... Some good, some bad, and some down right horrible. Let's start at Friday, shall we?

The Good:
I left you all on Friday with my plans for shopping all day for Christmas with Mike. We did exactly that and pretty much got all of our shopping done. It was a fun day and we got a lot accomplished. I have decided that I will definitely be doing that every year from now on. It is so much nicer to get to the mall, find a parking spot and shop without fighting a million people.
Nice food court lunch, chicken kabob, hummus and whole wheat pita

The Not-So-Bad:
We got home around 5 on Friday and I tried to take a nap since I was scheduled to work that night from 11 pm - 7 am. I had trouble taking a nap so I eventually gave up and watched a little TV. At around 9:30 pm, I got a call from the hospital saying they didn't need me and I would be put on call. I was so excited for the night off. Mike and I immediately ran to the store, got dinner, a Christmas tree, and a movie and spent the evening on the couch. It was perfect. We had about 20 minutes left in the movie when I got called back in to the hospital. That really, really sucked. I ended up having a pretty easy night, and I am thankful to have a job, so I didn't complain too much. But, I was definitely bummed about my luck.

On Saturday, I slept until around 12:30 and then Mike and I spent the afternoon decorating our Christmas tree and house. It is funny because some of our friend's decorate every inch of their houses for the holidays and we only decorate one little corner of ours. I like to decorate, but we don't have a lot of decorations and I don't want to spend days decorating or cleaning up from it. So, we decorate our little corner and it is perfect.
I know that Deluca is thankful to have a little brother during this time of year. We usually chase him around the house forcing him to wear light up antlers, but this year, we did that to Franklin... hmmm, this may explain what happened on Sunday. Franklin was probably just getting back at me... keep reading.
Such a cute reindeer!
After we got done decorating, we got ready and headed to a tacky sweater party. My friend's have one every year and it is a lot of fun. It is always interesting to see everyone's homemade or store bought disasters of outfits for Christmas.  I forgot to take any pictures with my phone, so I will have to post some later from my camera.

The Horrible:
I was extremely exhausted on Sunday morning when I woke up. I just wanted to stay asleep, but Franklin was up and ready to go. I tried to hold out as long as possible so that Mike would get up with him, but that plan just backfired. Franklin was laying beside me and when Mike came out of the bathroom to take them outside, he jumped up and his paw hit me in the eye. There was immediate pain in my eye and when I tried to open it, I could barely see. Everything was very blurry and it felt like there was a sharp eyelash stabbing my eyeball.

The funny thing is, this exact thing happened to my sister while she was visiting last weekend. Her little boy accidentally poked her in the eye and she ended up having to go to the emergency room. She had a scratch on her cornea and got some antibiotic drops and pain medications. I knew by the way she described the feeling, that the exact same thing had happened to me.

We headed out to an urgent care where it was confirmed that I had a scratch on my cornea. Everything was blurry because the scratch was directly over my pupil. They did an evaluation, wrote me some prescriptions, gave me a tetanus shot :(, and sent me on my way. I spent the entire day on Sunday, with my eyes closed on the couch. Mike had to wait on my hand and foot, which I am sure he was thrilled to do. :) He did make an excellent lunch of grilled chicken sandwiches with roasted butternut squash on the side.


I took yesterday off from work and slept pretty much until 1 pm. I tried to get up around 10, but the pain and discomfort was just too much, so I went back to sleep. When I woke up at 1, I could keep my eye open without any pain or watering, but my vision was still very blurry. I spent the remainder of the day wrapping presents and making chili for dinner.
 I made Cocoa Chili, which has been pinned to my meal planning board for months from The Edible Perspective.  She is one of my favorite food bloggers, and her recipes never seem to disappoint. This chili was very good, but very different. The flavor is not chocolaty, and not chili like either. It is hard to describe. Mike picked up some cornbread on his way home and we each enjoyed a bowl, topped with cheddar cheese. We have lots of leftovers too, so maybe I will be making something else with the leftovers... stay tuned!

I made it to work today, but I am not sure I will be staying the whole day. It is really difficult to respond to e-mails and stare at a computer with blurry vision, so pardon any spelling errors please.  I hope everyone had a better weekend than I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment