Recipes

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Leftover Chili Solution


I am a big fan of leftovers. I am one of those people who think that a meal tastes better the 2nd and 3rd day after it is made. It took a long time to get Mike on board with this. He was not a leftover person, but now, he loves them.

Chili, however, is not something I normally look forward to the next day. There is something about chili that tastes so perfect the day it is made that just can not be re-created in the microwave the next day. The problem with chili, though, is that there is always a ton leftover. It normally sits in my fridge for weeks until I finally toss it in the trash.
A while ago, I saw numerous food blogs creating various versions of a Chili, Mac ,and Cornbread Casserole (mostly all of them were pointing to this recipe as the first source). I was intrigued.

I used How Sweet's version of cornbread with a few variations (since I didn't have heavy cream, half and half, whole wheat pastry flour, or enough cheddar cheese to put in the muffins), but it still turned out amazing. I don't think I will ever make packaged cornbread again. And, the brown sugar addition was absolutely perfect.

Warning: this is not a super healthy recipe, but it is so worth it and will certainly take care of the leftover chili in your fridge.

Cheddar, Chili, Cornbread, & Pasta Bake
adapted from How Sweet It Is

1-2 cups of whole wheat pasta (I used elbow), cooked according to package directions
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2-3 cups leftover Chili
A batch of cornbread of your choice
Sour Cream or Plain Greek Yogurt for topping

Preheat oven to 375F. Once noodles are cooked, drain and place in the bottom of a casserole dish. Top noodles with leftover chili, add a layer of cheddar cheese, and then top with cornbread batter. Let bake for 20-30 minutes, until chili is bubbling and cornbread is golden brown and cooked through. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment