Recipes

Friday, December 9, 2011

Something Sweet - To Be Determined

I had another vegetarian meal planned for last night. I was going to make lettuce wraps filled with chickpeas and quinoa. Then I realized that we haven't eaten any meat since Sunday... and Mike gave me the look. The look of "I am on board with all of your crazy food ideas and never complain, but I am ready for meat now."

So, I replaced the chickpeas with chicken and made a super healthy, super easy dinner.

Curried Chicken, Tomato and Quinoa Lettuce (or Tortilla) Wraps
adapted recipe from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen (man, they would probably be upset to know I used chicken!)

1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
1 can of diced tomatoes (or fresh)
Salt and Pepper
1 teaspoon ginger (I used dried, but you could use fresh)
1-2 tsp cayenne pepper powder (to taste)
1-2 tbsp curry powder
1 1/2 cooked quinoa (I cooked mine in low sodium vegetable broth)

6 large lettuce leaves or whole wheat soft tortilla shells

In a medium sized skillet, cook the onion in some oil of choice until soft. Add in the garlic, salt and pepper and chicken. Cook the chicken until 1/2 way cooked. Add the diced tomatoes, ginger, cayenne pepper, and curry powder and allow to cook for about 5 minutes. Throw in the quinoa and cook just long enough to heat up.  Scoop the mixture into the lettuce leaves or tortilla shells.
Don't let this fool you, I had 2 of these and Mike had 2 helpings on tortillas.
I have to say, we were not very thrilled with this recipe. We ate dinner last night and thought it was just OK and I figured we would probably never make it again. It made enough for 4 servings, so I packaged up the leftovers for lunch today. Holy cow, this recipe is amazing.... the 2nd day. I guess the flavors needed some time to settle in and marry together, because that was one of the best lunches I have had in a long time. Last night, it was too spicy, the curry wasn't right and the filling fell out of the lettuce. Today, the filling was thicker, it wasn't too spicy and the flavors were amazing.

It is funny how that works sometimes. A recipe you thought you would never make again, may become a favorite. It would be a great recipe to make on a Sunday and pack up for the whole week's lunches.

Today, my project at work threw a baby shower for a co-worker. Whenever we do these types of parties, everyone signs up to bring something and we totally pig out. This year, several people (including myself) signed up for "something sweet - to be determined." Last night, at 10 pm, I remembered I was supposed to bring something. I had a box of devil's food cake in the pantry and figured I could just whip up some cupcakes for the party. Today, when I brought in my cupcakes, I placed them next to a cake and 2 other batches of cupcakes... I guess those people also signed up for "something sweet - to be determined." There are a LOT of leftover cupcakes in the break room. haha.

Also at the party today, Bojangles chicken, rice, cornbread, coleslaw, beans and lots of other sweet treats. I decided not to partake in the Bojangles as I have not had fast food in a very long time and hope to eliminate it completely from my life. I ate my healthy leftovers for lunch and then snagged a few desserts that were pretty well portion controlled. :)
1/2 of a chocolate cannoli and some mud pie :)

I have a hot date tonight and I hear they will be wearing fur. No, I am not talking about my dogs. :) We are heading to northern Virginia tomorrow to see my sister and her family and Mike is going to the Redskins/Pats game on Sunday. Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. You can't wait for the fur and you know it ;) Especially considering how much I've talked about it this week (or month)!

    ReplyDelete