Recipes

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Chili Festival Fun

I graduated from high school in a small military town in eastern North Carolina called Havelock. The kids in that town call it Have-NOT because there is nothing to do there. It is a town with only 1 main road, every fast food restaurant you can think of, and a Roses. The only thing that makes this place somewhat manageable is that it is less than 20 minutes to the beach. And, the Chili Festival.

Every year, Havelock hosts the North Carolina Chili Festival in October. I don't think it was always considered "North Carolina's" but it appears that it is now being referred to as that, so I guess that is pretty cool. Mike and I had headed to the area to pick up our dogs from my mom. While we were there we thought it would be fun to check out the Chili Festival. I had been several times while I was in high school and college and have always loved it.
We missed this guy!
 Basically, you have about 25 booths of people, companies, or groups making their own version of chili. They are all judged and there are different categories of winners. Best spicy chili, best red sauce chili, best green sauce, etc, etc. You pay $1 per cup of chili at each booth. There are also tons of other food vendors there like homemade ice cream, snow cones, turkey legs, and  funnel cakes. They also have rides for the kids, booths for selling crafts, and live music.


We wanted to get there earlier, because the best chili always sells out first.  We missed some of the good ones, but we still had plenty of great chili. Plus, we got to hang out with my nephew for the day, filling him full of sugary treats and playing with him on the playground.

We had a great time with my family at the festival. I guess that town is not so bad, since it does have some of my favorite people in it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment