Recipes

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Darkening Nights of Fall

Good Morning! I hope everyone is having a lovely one. I am just counting down the days until Saturday so I can leave for Mexico. I am ready for a break from work and one last warm week before diving head first into fall. My clothes are all set out, just waiting to be thrown in the suitcase.

My view as I was finishing up my run last night.


Fall is definitely here. The weather is so much cooler than it was even just a few days ago and the evenings are rapidly getting darker, earlier. I love that it is not as hot, but I am sure going to miss then longer days and later sunsets.



In the last few days, I have thought a lot about running safety. My neighborhood is quite large and there are always people out, walking their dogs or exercising. Plus, my entire run is in front of houses and there are no areas where I don't really feel safe. But, with the evening sun fading quicker, I wonder if I should be a little more prepared to protect myself or have some sort of identity with me in case something happens. I always think, 'Don't be that stupid girl who thinks nothing will ever happen to me.'



One thing that I have thought about doing is carrying a container of mace with me. My friends got me that hot pink key chain mace once for my birthday and I do carry that when I am leaving or entering the hospital late at night.

It really doesn't matter where I run, these thoughts go through my head. I try to see the good in everyone, but you never know what someone is capable of.  Since I didn't have Franklin with me last night, I brought along this guy for protection. :)



Another problem that I have heard others discuss is having something that will protect you from animals. Although most of the animals in my neighborhood are on a leash, last night I was scared to death by a dog who got out of his fence and came running along beside me. I had my headphones in and didn't hear him approach me. I screamed so loudly and my heart just about exploded.  Thankfully, he was a playful pup and was wagging his tail, but what if he was a viscous dog who tried to attack me? I just feel like these are things that I have to think about. Some people bring sticks on their walks, but I can not imagine running with a stick and I feel that it might be pretty dangerous to do so.

When it comes to running identity tags, I recently learned about RoadID bracelets. I am considering ordering one of these since I really have no identity when I run. I do not bring anything with me besides my dog.  He has a phone number on his collar, but I am pretty sure if I drop to the ground, Franklin will probably take off running. Maybe this would be a good Christmas gift to ask for (wink, wink). There are lots of other products out there to identify runners, but I thought this was a pretty good one to get. Plus, it is isn't too overpriced.


After our run last night, Mike and I decided to make some grilled chicken sandwiches and beer soaked french fries. I had first saw beer soaked french fries on one of my favorite foodie blogs, The Edible Perspective. I followed her recipe, except I used a little different beer and added some pumpkin puree to half of the fries. They turned out excellent. I am not really sure I could taste the beer or pumpkin, but they were great fries.


I added some mozzarella cheese, salt, pepper and hot sauce to my grilled chicken and Mike added some cheddar cheese, turkey pepperoni and BBQ sauce to his. We each had our chicken over a whole wheat sandwich thin with some fries on the side. It was an easy, yummy dinner.




On Monday night, I came home from my run and made a chickpea, vegetable stir fry with quinoa instead of rice. It was delicious and made a ton. So Mike and I have been enjoying that for lunch every day. Today, since we had some leftover grilled chicken, I mixed some of that in with my stir fry. It should give me a great protein boost and keep me full until after work.



Also on Monday, I ran a full 3.2 miles! YES! It was just another one of those days that I didn't feel tired or cramped, so I kept running. I drove the route yesterday and was very pleased to find out it was that much. Last night we cut our run to a little over 2 miles since it was already getting so dark and late.

I haven't gotten much weight training in this week since I am the early person at work and that means I would have to get up a full hour earlier than usual. I tried this morning, but it just wasn't happening. I am working at the hospital tonight, so I am sure tomorrow I will not get up either. I may just have to chalk this week up to a loss. But that is OK, at least I have gotten a good run in each day and will plan on getting back to the weights when we return from Mexico.

Have a fabulous day today!


Monday Stats:
Calories (-) 43
Sodium (+)148 (!!) 
Protein (-) 27 

Breakfast - Overnight Pumpkin Oats
Snack - Energy Ball
Lunch - TJ's Masala Veggie Burger on a sandwich thin and some frozen mango chunks
Dinner - Quinoa stir fry with frozen veggie blend and canned garbanzo beans
Snack - 2 Charmingly Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies from TJ's and 1 cup skim milk

Monday Work Out:
3.2 mile run (NO WALKING!!! Except up a very steep hill, but that kept my heart rate going, so oh well)


Tuesday Stats:
Calories (+) 8
Sodium (-) 40
Protein (-) 12


Breakfast - Overnight Pumpkin Oats
Lunch - Leftover Quinoa Stir Fry and 1 energy ball
Snack - Gala Apple
Dinner - Grilled Chicken Sandwich Thin with Beer Soaked French Fries

Tuesday Work Out:
+2 mile run

No comments:

Post a Comment