Recipes

Friday, October 14, 2011

Mexican Vacay Recap - Chocolate and Pearls

Maybe that is what I should have named my blog... Chocolate and Pearls. Hmmm...

This will be a several post recap so that I am not blogging for the next 4 hours. :) I thought I would start my recap of Mexico at the beginning - Friday night. I already told you we had planned on coming home, making dinner, and drinking some wine.

Once we got home, it was around 7:30 pm. I started packing our suitcases while Mike started dinner. We had marinated our steaks all day, so all he had to do was get the sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts broiling. I noticed that Mike had set a card and a Godiva Chocolates bag out on the table and I was very excited to have some. :) We had agreed that Mexico was our gift to each other and that we would not be doing any other gifts. I had picked him up a card and I thought it was sweet that he had stopped to get one of my favorite treats, dark chocolate.


We opened our 12 year old bottle of Cabernet Savignon and it was delicious. The rest of our meal was also perfect. We had a great dinner and then decided to open our cards. At this point, I was ready to have some dessert, so I wanted to tear into that chocolate box.



When I opened the box, there was a small jewelry pouch inside. Mike had gotten me some pearl stud earrings. I was completely surprised.


They are so pretty. Sorry for the crap iPhone pictures, but they are perfect. They are the palest pink and I just love them. That guy, I tell ya, he is a keeper. :)

The next morning, we woke up at (gasp) 3:45 am to catch our 7 am flight. We drove to our friend's house since they live close to the airport and took a cab from there. Our flights were pretty uneventful and I caught a few short naps along the way. I woke up just as we were landing in Cancun and looked out the window to see this:
BEAUTIFUL! Look at how blue the water is!!

I was very nervous about arriving in Mexico. I know that Cancun is very touristy, but any kind of travel outside the country makes me nervous. I guess just watching too many news reports of tourists going missing has me on edge about travel. We actually got through immigration and customs quickly and before we knew it we were on our way to the resort.

The resort was a quick 20 minute drive from the airport and when we pulled up, I was overly impressed. We were handed cool towels and a glass of champagne as we entered the gorgeous lobby of our resort.





Once we checked in, we were told our room would be ready around 3, so we were free to get some lunch and enjoy the resort until then. This place was out of this world pretty. I can't even believe these photos were taken with my camera. They don't even look real!



The resort we stayed in was all inclusive, which means you eat and drink all you want the entire trip. I guess I got a little too excited because the next few hours consisted of a lot of drinking. Everywhere we went, the bartenders were pouring us shot after shot and drink after drink. By the time we got into our actual room, I was quite tipsy. Rookie move, Carolyn. rookie move.




Let's just say we will chalk Saturday night up to a big, fat, FAIL! I was passed out by 8:30pm and didn't take any pictures after taking some of our room. I know that Mike got room service that evening, and I know that I did eat some, but I really don't remember what I ate. Nor do I have pictures, so that is pretty boring. I was pretty disappointed in myself for getting so drunk on our first night in Mexico. I punished myself the next morning with a nice long run, so that made me feel a little better.

Below are a few pictures of our magnificent room. I will return on Monday with the rest of our vacation recap! Have a fabulous weekend everyone! I am off to pick up the most adorable pups in the world! I have missed them sooo much!!




No comments:

Post a Comment