Recipes

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

the crystal coast

I guess since I have to do a lot of real work lately, I will have to try to squeeze in my posts at home. :)

We decided to stay at home last Friday night before heading to the coast for the weekend. We just wanted a night to take our time getting our things packed and relax before a packed weekend.

While we packed and finished laundry, we made ourselves a delicious and easy dinner. We grilled some chicken on the grill in bbq sauce, chopped up a few veggies, and threw everything on tortillas and sandwich thins to make some small personal sized pizzas. They turned out super good.


Along with our pizzas, we enjoyed some white wine.


When we woke up on Saturday, we packed our things and headed to New Bern, where my mom and her boyfriend live. We hung with them for a while, enjoying the back patio and then heading to the riverfront for some lunch.


It was really windy on the patio of the restaurant we went to, but the weather was so nice, and the food was amazing. We had a few beers, so I decided to have Mother Earth's kolsch style beer, Endless River. It is made locally in Eastern N.C., and I really like it.


I went with the fish tacos and they were the best fish tacos I have ever had in my life. They tasted so good! The fish was perfectly seasoned and cooked, and I loved them.


The place we went to was called Persimmon's and I highly recommend it if you are ever in the New Bern area. It was so delicious and has such an awesome view.


After lunch, we headed further towards the coast to meet up with my brother and his family. We all hung out for the evening at a corn hole tournament before Mike and I went on to the house we were staying at. We were pretty tired, so we went to bed relatively early.

We woke up on Sunday and headed out for a run. We had wanted to get a long run in, but the weather was really humid and hot, even for 8 am, so we just did 3 miles. Luckily we got to run around water. :)


Mike and I were so hot and miserable, but I am glad we went. Considering we didn't run any more last weekend, it was the only amount of exercise we got.

My shin is still bothering me a little, but all in all, I think the break helped. I hope that when I go for my run in the morning it is feeling even better, but we will see.

We spent all of Sunday on the beach and we are paying for it now. Even with several applications of sunscreen, we both still got burnt quite a bit. :( I wish I had a picture of how we looked, but I forgot. Sorry, I wasn't really in blog mode down there.


The sun was HOT!! My family all met us down there and we just hung out and caught up. After the sun started to set, we headed in to have a cook out. It was a great day.

Since we were off on Monday, we had lunch with my brother and dad before driving back to Raleigh. I picked up a 4 hour shift at the hospital last night, since they always need help on holidays, so we had to head back kinda early.  It was a pretty easy and quick 4 hours, and I am glad to already have my shift over with for the week. When I got home after my shift, I was starving. I didn't really eat dinner because I was still full from lunch, but running around the hospital worked up my appetite.

I didn't want to eat a full meal when I got home, so I whipped up a little snack. This is my favorite bedtime snack after work. PB & J crackers with milk. :)


I hope you all had a great Memorial Day weekend too!

G'night!

1 comment:

  1. Since you guys love the homemade pizza, you should try it on Lavish bread. I know they have it at TJ's. Not sure about sodium, but there's like 200 calories in it and you could probably split one. I usually make 2 for the 4 of us and then have left overs. I will say the bread left over and heated in a microwave is horrid. But it would probably be fine reheated in the oven...haven't tried.

    ReplyDelete