Recipes

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

does a body good

Last night's dinner was AWESOME. I couldn't get over how good it was, combining two of my favorite things; eggs and roasted veggies. I got the idea from a blog that I follow - peanut butter fingers. She frequently tops her salads and veggies with a fried egg and I have always thought it was interesting. Now that I have tried it, I can assure you it will be happening way more often.


We were pretty much out of everything, so we made a quick stop by the store on our way home from work. We quickly grabbed some eggs, milk, and brussel sprouts, and headed home to make dinner. While Mike mowed the grass, I started roasting our veggies.


We had the sweet potatoes and russet potatoes on hand, and they were starting to look a little old, so I used everything up with our meal. After roasting them in olive oil for about 45 minutes (stirring in between), I fried up 2 eggs for each of us and put them on top of a bowl of the veggies.


I must have said how good this meal tasted 100 times last night. The mixture of the yolk, egg, and oily veggies was just amazing. I want more, and I want more now.


If only I could fry some eggs at work, I would be having a repeat of this for lunch. Instead, I will have to settle for the veggies alone with a pb & j sandwich thin. Still a pretty rockin' lunch if you ask me.

While waiting for our dinner to cook, I snacked on some chips and salsa and drank milk. Can I just tell you that I am slightly addicted to milk. I seriously could drink milk at every meal if I allowed myself. I love it so much. I try to keep my intake to a minimum, so that I don't go way over in calories and sodium from just milk alone, but then I get into these kicks where I can't stop myself from drinking it. I think since I restrict myself, I over-indulge a bit.


I only drink skim milk and I love for it to be ice cold, without adding any ice. But, if it is not cold enough, I will certainly add ice. Mmm, I want some milk right now. Instead, I will continue to sip my peppermint tea. :)

--

This morning, I dropped Mike off at work and then headed out for my run around his office. I like that run a lot. It is exactly 3 miles and I feel legitimately worked when I am through. The hills and turns create a great work out that leaves me feeling sweaty and tired... both good things to feel after a run.


Over the last week, I have noticed a pain in my shin when I begin my runs. It is only on the left side and it runs up my shin along the bone. It seems to subside after I get about a mile in, but I can feel it anytime my foot pronates inward. I usually don't pronate when I run, but sometimes when I get tired, my feet just get lazy. It really isn't bad enough to where I can't run, and I don't feel it any other time in my day to day life, but I am a little concerned since it has been going on for a week and at every single run. I think I will take tomorrow off and see if that helps at all. I really don't want to get injured since my running has been really consistent lately.

I also love this trail because of the fun things you get to look at. There are always birds, squirrels, and bunnies just hanging out.


This guy got a little scared as I got closer to him and ran into the woods... Can you see him??


My only complaint about this run is the hills. I guess that is probably why it gives me such a good work out, though, so I shouldn't complain. This one is a beast and I always hate when I approach it.


I was glad to be finished and was pretty happy with my pace the entire time. I felt like I was really pushing myself, so that is always a good feeling.


When I got to my office, I dug into my overnight oats (in a pb jar). This is also an idea that came from a blog that I read. Carrots N Cake always talks about doing this and it is an excellent idea. When you are just about finished with a peanut butter jar, and there is not enough peanut butter to do anything with, but enough to keep the peanut butter flavor, add your overnight oats to the jar and enjoy the deliciousness the next morning. I added oats, skim milk, frozen mixed berries, and chocolate protein powder. With every bite you get a bit of peanut butter and it tastes absolutely incredible.


Time to tackle the day! Have a good one!

Yesterday's Stats (thanks to my milk obsession):
Calories (+) 351
Sodium (+) 103
Protein (+) 1

1 comment:

  1. You should try Starbucks Iced Green Tea. It has a mint flavor to it and for Starbucks, it's really inexpensive...like 2.75 for a venti.

    ReplyDelete