Recipes

Monday, May 7, 2012

memories made here...


Boo for Monday. I really wish we were still down at the beach, enjoying the beautiful weather and relaxing. It is so awesome how spending just one day at the beach can remove so much stress and worry, only to come rushing back as soon as you get back home. Ugh... the real world.

We spent the weekend at our friend Lindsay's family beach house. We had such a great time and Mike really enjoyed his birthday. 

When we arrived on Friday, we immediately went grocery shopping and got enough food to last us through the weekend. Then we returned to the house and had a few drinks on the porch before more friends started to arrive.

Friday was pretty low key. We grilled some burgers and hot dogs, made some sweet potato fries and tater tots, and just hung out. Everyone was tired from the week and after a few drinks, we headed to bed relatively early.

Saturday, a bunch of us got up pretty early for a run. 2 of the guys Mike is planning to run in a marathon with later this year were at the beach, so I tagged along with them for their first few miles.


We actually did the first mile on a dirt path, which is not my strongest type of running. I know I need to do more of those to help strengthen my ankles, but I am always so afraid of breaking them while I run on uneven ground.


I ran a little behind the boys, since I had to stop and take pictures here and there. ;)


The beach that we went to is extremely small, with such cute little beach shops and houses all over. They also have little canals that run along the streets with the most adorable houses on them. I would now like a canal house, asap.



I ran about 3.5 miles, while the boys did their long run of about 8 miles. It was nice to get out there and get our exercise in for the day, but it was so hot. It wasn't even 9 am by the time I got back to the house and I was dripping with sweat. Luckily, the scenery was gorgeous, and that kept me going long after when I wanted to quit.


When we got back to the house, I showered up and then we all headed down to the beach. It was really nice out, with a cool breeze, but warm enough to stay in bathing suits. The water was pretty chilly, but after a few margaritas, we had no problems going in the water. ;)


We played boccie ball, ladder golf, corn hole, and drinking games all while soaking up the sun and enjoying each others company. It was a perfect day at the beach. I would have to say that Mike's favorite place to be is at the beach and with friends, so I think this was a great way for him to spend his birthday.


About mid day, the girls headed to the house to make up some sandwiches (and more margaritas) for lunch. Since I can't really do deli meat right now, I made a huge veggie filled sandwich with hummus, avocado, tomato, and cucumber.





We also had some chips and salsa, since it was Cinco de Mayo... It was all very yummy.


We stayed out at the beach until almost 5, so when we finally came back to the house, we all jumped in the shower and started to get ready.  I finished up getting ready just in time to watch the Kentucky Derby begin. We each picked a few horses, which made the race a lot more fun to watch.


Then it was on to cake and presents for the birthday boy!


Mike has been kinda obsessed with (wanting) butterfingers lately, so I found a Butterfinger Cake recipe online and made it at the beach. It was super rich, but really delicious.


One of Mike's birthday present requests was an ice cream maker, so that is what he got! He immediately made some vanilla ice cream for everyone which turned out amazing! We waited until after dinner to enjoy that and our cake, since we had a Cinco de Mayo feast planned.


We made fish and chicken tacos with black and pinto beans and slaw. Everything was really delicious and the chicken and fish were cooked perfectly, thanks to the boys.


I went without a tortilla, since we weren't able to find a low sodium option at the grocery store. It was still really good, and I enjoyed every bite.

After dinner, we had cake and ice cream and then we all passed out. :)


Sunday morning, we woke up to dark clouds and cool weather. We had all planned to go down to the beach for bit before hitting the road, but the weather was just not cooperating. Instead, Mike and I went for a run.


We decided to run along the beach, since it was pretty cool out and the sand was really packed down. I have only ever ran on sand one other time, and it was not pretty. This year, since I am in much better running shape than I ever have been before, it was much easier.


There were dead jelly fish all over the beach... poor little guy.

When Mike and I hit the 1.5 mile mark, we wanted to go ahead and turn around. Before doing so, we decided to have a little fun with pictures.


We were dying laughing at those pictures yesterday. Mike's face is priceless and my herky is not what it used to be...

What an amazing and fun weekend... Such wonderful memories with some really wonderful people. I am so thankful that we have such great friends. :)


A big shout out to Lindsay and her family, for allowing us to borrow their little slice of heaven for a weekend. We had so much fun.

--

Yesterday's Stats:
Calories (+) 15
Sodium (+) 468
Protein (+) 6

No comments:

Post a Comment