Recipes

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

tour de eastern Virginia

No post yesterday, I know! Things are a little crazy over here, so it just didn't happen. Forgive me. :)

This past weekend was so busy, but a lot of fun. We headed to Newport News, VA on Friday after work to stay with some good friends, Cassie and Jay. Mike actually grew up there, so it was nice for him to go back to his hometown and catch up with some old friends. We got there pretty late on Friday, so we just walked to a nearby tavern for a few drinks.

Mike and Jay are planning to run in a marathon together later this year, so they decided they wanted to go for a longer run on Saturday morning. I had initially agreed to run 7 miles with them, but changed my mind when Cassie informed me it was a pretty tough course they planned to run. She and I went for our own run along the water and through a really pretty area of town.


We ran through the Mariner's Museum,


across the Lion's Bridge,


and even caught a boat race that was going on.


It was a really fun and relaxed run, and I always enjoy new scenery and entertaining distractions.


It was really overcast on Saturday, but the weather was still pretty warm with a nice cool breeze. Probably the most perfect running weather, but the pictures look pretty dark.

After getting a good work out in, we all got ready and headed to Colonial Williamsburg for the day. The weather had dropped even more and it started raining as soon as we arrived. One of Mike's (and everyone else) favorite place for lunch is called The Cheese Shop. They make awesome sandwiches and have a great wine and beer list. We got a bottle to split between 6 of us, and sat outside in the freezing cold rain, and enjoyed lunch.


Luckily, the rain let up a bit while we were eating, so we were able to continue our day in Williamsburg walking around and then heading to the outlets for a little shopping. Look at these gorgeous flowers they had planted all over the outlets! I want to plant these at my house!


Mike and I both racked up in the clothes department, so we are set for summer. Everyone was pretty exhausted after a long and busy day, but we wanted to go out for a good dinner, so we freshened up after shopping, and headed out.

my loot

We headed to a place in Hampton, VA called Conch and Bucket. It was a really cute place with really great food and wine. We started with a bottle of tempranillo and I got a bowl of soup to help warm me up.


This place had really weird lighting, so I couldn't use a flash, but it was a little too dark without, so I just had to make do. Sorry for the bad pictures.

The soup I ordered was poblano pepper soup with a big chunk of goat cheese in the middle. It was delicious. It was slightly spicy, but so creamy after stirring in the goat cheese.


For my entree, I ordered the mussels. I have only ever had mussels shared with others and never have ordered them just for myself, but I was so glad I did. These things were amazing. Of course they served some bread on the side, perfect for dipping.


After dinner, we sat around and talked for probably another hour. We were all pretty tired, so going somewhere else did not sound fun at all, but we were enjoying each others company too much to go home. It was a really fun night, with really great friends.

Our cute hosts!
We had such a great weekend with them and I am pretty excited that we get to see them again this coming weekend too!  A big group of us are heading to the beach to celebrate Mike's birthday and we are all so pumped about it. It is seriously TIME for a beach weekend, it just feels right.


On Sunday we packed up and headed to my sister in law's house in Virginia Beach to hang out for a bit. Then, we got to take my little baby cousin to lunch, which was a lot of fun. Isn't he so adorable? Can you believe I used to babysit him?? Wow... I am old.


After lunch we went to see our soon to be brother in law at work and got some really fun pictures since he is a firefighter.

Nerd alert...


It was a really great weekend, spent with some really great people. :)

--

Needless to say, after an exhausting weekend, I didn't make it to the gym or out for a run yesterday. We worked all day, came home, made dinner, and then headed out to trivia night with our bible study crew. When we got back at 9 pm, Mike studied while I got ready for bed. 

Have a fabulous Tuesday!

Yesterday's Stats:
Calories (-) 278
Sodium (-) 183
Protein (-) 7

No comments:

Post a Comment