Recipes

Friday, April 27, 2012

someone else's neighborhood

Friday!!! Fave day of the week! We are heading to Virginia to hang with some friends for the weekend, what are you up to?

Mike and I decided to go running after work yesterday, but we are both really tired of running in our neighborhood. I am just tired of running the same route, with the same things to look at, so we changed it up a bit and headed to that trail that I ran on Tuesday.

And, look what I found!!


HONEYSUCKLE!!! Please excuse the sweaty face.

Along the trail, there are several paths that lead to different neighborhoods, so we decided to turn off into one of them. It was kinda fun, running through someone else's neighborhood. 


Mike kept getting further and further ahead of me. Partly because he is much faster than me now, but also because I have to stop and take pictures all the time.


Like this one, because, since I went to East Carolina University, anything related to a pirate must be documented. I actually lived in an apartment complex with this same name when I was in school. Memories...


After running through a random hood, we took a path back into the trail we originally started on, and finished out our 3.2 mile run.


This part of the trail sucks. Going straight up, but Mike and I both managed to run up it the entire time, I usually just walk that part.

When we got back to the car, we were both in the mood for Mexican food. Since I am trying to keep my sodium levels low, I didn't want to go to a Mexican restaurant and blow my entire days worth of sodium on just tortilla chips alone, so we decided to make our own.

So now, I have for you, a recipe! AGAIN???!!! Yeah, really, I know you are pumped.

Heart Healthy Enchiladas for Carolyn's Broke-Ass Heart 
(I think I have to have the AHA permission to use terms like 'Heart Healthy,' but I am keeping the name anyway)

Whole Wheat Tortillas - La Banderita Brand (only 80 calories and 150 mg of sodium in 2 tortillas!)
1 can of pinto beans, rinsed and drained (to remove a good amount of sodium)
2 tablespoons skim milk
1 chicken breast - grilled and shredded
1/2 cup - 1 cup Muir Glen Medium Salsa (only 10 calories and 125 mg of sodium per serving)
Cheese - your choice - I used goat in mine, pepper jack and cheddar in Mike's

These are the tortillas we used since they have such low sodium and so little calories. I put this into my fooducate app and it did not have such great things to say, but since we love tortillas in our house, these seem to be the best option.

I heated the beans in a pan and then mashed them with the back of a spoon. Then I added 2 tablespoons of skim milk and it made them into a perfect consistency for a refried bean substitute.

Into the tortilla went a bit of chicken, about a tablespoon of the beans, and then a bit of cheese. Then I rolled them up, placed them in a baking dish, covered with about 1/2 cup salsa and baked in the oven on 400 F until heated throughout (maybe 10 min?). 





They turned out super delicious, so I was pretty shocked when I added up the nutrition facts. For 2 enchiladas (which is what I had), there was about 400 calories and 450 mg of sodium. It satisfied our craving for Mexican, without all the salt. Winning!

--
Check out the latest pictures of Mike's our garden!











Everything is looking so good! Can't wait until we can eat them!

--

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

Yesterday's Stats:
Calories (-) 208
Sodium (-) 419
Protein (+) 12 :)



No comments:

Post a Comment