Recipes

Monday, January 23, 2012

Cardio Change Up

I feel like I am running on fumes, y'all. I am so tired, and soooo unmotivated. I hope tomorrow is a better day.  I probably have the beverages I consumed yesterday during the Pats game to blame... but oh well.

This weekend was busy, to say the least. My cousin was in town, so we went out to dinner after work on Friday and then out for a few drinks with friends. Saturday morning, we woke up and headed to Fayetteville for my other cousin's soccer game. It was so nice catching up with my cousins, Aunt, and my mom (who randomly was also in Fayetteville).

We had planned to go out with some friends on Saturday night, but by the time we got back home, we were cold and tired, and didn't feel like going out. We did decide to meet a few of them out for dinner at Chuck's, a burger restaurant we have been really wanting to try.


Chuck's was great. It had very simple designs, furniture and menu. It was very reasonably priced for a "boutique burger restaurant" and I will definitely be going back. We really loved it.





Our table split their Belgian Fries with several of the dipping sauces, my favorite was the Sweet Chili and Malt Vinegar Aioli. The fries were thick and crispy, and the sauces had amazing flavor.


For my burger, I had the Spirit Animal and it was so good. I love cream cheese on anything, so I was totally down with trying it on a burger. It wasn't too spicy, but had enough kick to satisfy my palette. This is the 5oz chuck, which is their "smaller" burger. It was plenty for me.


One of my friends, Jessica, also got a milkshake. It was peanut butter and banana, and it was so incredible. I had a taste and wished I would have gotten one myself. She had bourbon added to it, but no one could taste it.


Chuck's is definitely a place I will be going back to. Their menu is not extensive, but I want to try everything on it!

After eating, we headed to Fox's Liquor Bar, which is owned by the same person who owns Chuck's. So far, Mike and I have been a huge fan of all of her restaurants, so we figured Fox's would be no different.


Fox's was pretty impressive. It was a bar with nothing but small tables, couches and round-table areas, with a smaller bar. It was very intimate feeling and the drink menu was interesting, in a good way. It was also very expensive. Mike and I each had one drink, and then headed home. I rolled with a simple glass of wine, but Mike got an old fashioned.


Jessica got some type of complicated mixed drink, I can't remember what it was called, but it was very pretty, and she said it was tasty.





It definitely looked tasty! They had some pretty interesting things on the menu, one of them being absinthe. Apparently absinthe has a very different presentation, where you allow ice water to slowly drop over a sugar cube to sweeten it perfectly. It looked like crack rock to us, so we had a lot of fun making fun of it. Too bad I didn't snap a picture, but it would have been awkward, since it wasn't one of our drinks.

After church yesterday, we had some people over to watch the Patriots play the Ravens. Mike is a huge Patriots fan, so I have become one as well. Thankfully, the Pats barely beat the Ravens and will now be going to the Super Bowl. Mike was very happy about this...


Gym Happenings
I ate pretty unhealthy this past weekend, and never had a chance to get a work out in. Since I had gone every day last week, I didn't feel too bad about it, but I knew I needed to get to they gym this morning. I had zero motivation this morning and honestly thought about taking a snooze in my car in they gym parking lot.

Somehow, I forced myself to get inside, but I had no interest in running on the treadmill. Geez... when is the weather going to get warmer so I can go back outside to run??!! It sucks it is only January still... Instead of running, I decided to play basketball by myself.

I actually played basketball when I was younger and for my high school in Virginia before we moved to North Carolina. It is one of the only sports I really enjoyed and was actually good at. Mike and I played one on one recently and I remembered just how hard you have to run and just how good of a work out it is to play.

I made up a fun game to play by myself. My hand-eye coordination is not quite what it used to be, so I am pretty bad at lay ups these days. I challenged myself to run down the court, dribbling, go for a lay up, and if I scored, I made free throws until I missed. That was my break. Otherwise, I had to keep running from basket to basket, attempting lay ups. Let's just say I did a lot of running back and forth today...

Sometimes, you just have to switch it up to keep yourself going. I could have stayed in bed, or napped in my car, but I made up a fun cardio session, and got the work out done. Even if it wasn't pretty, it got done.

Food Stuff
This past weekend's GoLocal produce delivery did not disappoint. Mushrooms (in the brown bag), radishes, celery, carrots, pears, apples, bananas, garlic, red onion, roma tomatoes, and a poblano pepper. We still have a ton of oranges and apples left from last week's delivery, so we are going to have to do some juicing to get through it. Our veggie and fruit crisper drawers are full to the brim! I love it!


We also still have our pineapple from last week's delivery, so we are using that up tonight. I have Googled my butt off for a recipe using chicken and pineapple, but none sound like what I want, so I am going to attempt a recipe on my own. Sometimes these recipes are great, sometimes, they are awful. Let's hope for a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment