Recipes

Thursday, January 12, 2012

I Am A Changin'

Mike and I try to ride together on the days that I work 9-5. This whole week, I have been dropping him off at work very early, going to the gym, and then heading into work myself. It saves on gas, mileage, and allows us a little time to catch up and hang out on our way home.

Last night, when I went to pick him up, I wasn't in the mood to go home. I didn't feel like making dinner, or doing dishes, so I suggested we go out to dinner. Since this is a pretty rare occasion, Mike was on board. At first, we decided to go to Bonefish Grill, since it was Wednesday and that is $5 Bang Bang Shrimp day. We figured we could each get an order and a glass of wine, and that would be all we needed for dinner. Stupid me, I decided to look up the nutrition facts... We pulled into the parking lot and I hesitated to go inside.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely eat out at many restaurants, some even worse than this, and never even look at the nutrition information. Even if I did look at it, usually, I would just eat it anyway. But, I have been on such a good path since Christmas, I really wanted to stick with it. (Also, I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Bonefish, I love their food, especially the Bang Bang Shrimp.) Mike could tell I was hesitant, so we made a deal that if there were no seats at the bar, it was a sign to go somewhere else. Guess what? There wasn't a single seat at that bar. :) 

It is crazy to think of how much I have changed in the last 2 years. I was someone who ate out a majority of the time, never looked at calories, much less sodium, and now I am so interested in it. I want to know everything I am eating and how it is going to affect my numbers for the day. Sure, there are times when I will go to restaurants and have whatever I am in the mood for. And, I am sure that I have not had my last order of Bang Bang Shrimp, I just wasn't having it last night.

We decided to get sushi on our impromptu date night. We headed downtown where there are lots of sushi options. One thing pushed us towards Glenwood Avenue - Frozen Yogurt. Remember when I was disappointed that Raleigh didn't have a FroYo place downtown or close to us? Finally, we have one! More on that in a minute, let's get through dinner first.


We had dinner at Sushi Blues Cafe, a great sushi restaurant that offers BOGO sushi rolls all the time! I refuse to eat sushi anywhere that doesn't offer this deal since there are so many that do. We got 2 rolls to split after some edamame and drinks. I had a glass of Cabernet, while Mike enjoyed a glass of Sam Adams Winter Lager.
 

Next, we ordered 2 rolls of sushi, the Wolfpack roll and Accross the Street Carmen. The Wolfpack is pretty standard anytime we get sushi. But, I think the Accross the Street Carmen has become a new fav. It had tempura shrimp and sweet potato inside and I loved it. 


I like my sushi with a little wasabi, a layer of ginger and then a quick dip in low sodium soy sauce. Soo good!

Next up, we headed to Tutti Frutti across the street for some frozen yogurt. This place just opened in downtown Raleigh and we recently bought a living social deal for $10 worth.

Their frozen yogurt was really good. They had lots of options for flavors and tons of toppings. The girl working the counter was super sweet and she was giving us all sorts of good ideas for our dessert. I decided to get 3 different flavors, pomegranate tart, death by chocolate, and banana. The tart is pretty awesome and I should have just gotten that since it is healthier, but it tastes a little more spring-like and I wanted chocolate. The banana was just too good not to get, so I had to have a little.


My toppings were pretty random, fresh fruit, mochi, chocolate sprinkles and fruity pebbles. I forgot to get a picture before I devoured mine, but it was awesome. We got our yogurt to go so we could get home and let the dogs out and eat.

I am glad we decided to have a little date night last night. Since it was one of our new year's resolutions, and we already missed last week, I figure we are going to have to try to incorporate them into our weekly night life if we want to have them.

Jello Legs
I got in a killer leg workout this morning with 7 different moves. May have been a wee bit too much, but I wanted to spend an entire 30 minutes on legs alone. I made sure to do a really great stretch, so hopefully I can move tomorrow. Tomorrow is supposed to be my rest day, but it will just depend on what time Mike goes to work.

I am working at the hospital tonight for few hours, so my dinner will be an apple and a peanut butter sandwich. Happy Thursday! Tomorrow is FRRRIIIIDDDAAAYYYY! Yipee!

Yesterday's Stats:
Calories (+) 14
Sodium (-) 125
Protein (-) 8

My numbers may have been a little off since it is hard to calculate the nutrition facts for independent restaurants. I went heavy though, so hopefully not too off.

No comments:

Post a Comment