Recipes

Friday, January 6, 2012

Stir Fried

Happy Friday! I skipped the gym this morning since I am working overnight at the hospital tonight. I am not a very good napper, so I try to get as much sleep as possible in the morning before having to work all night. 

After discussing all of the upcoming events we have this year, this 2nd job is really going to come in handy. I am going to try to squeeze as many of these 8 hour shifts into the next 6 months as I can, that way, we don't have to use any of our savings to pay for the festivities. It might be tough, but it will be worth it. I wanted that money to go towards fun and extra savings, so that is exactly what it will be used for. I am so thankful to have that as an option!

Yesterday's Eats:

Let me start with lunch yesterday. I had cut up some of the leftover chicken we had from a few nights ago and threw together the ingredients for a taco. My taco really didn't turn out like a taco.
The stuffing was almost bigger than the tortilla and I couldn't really wrap it up. So I used a fork instead. Still delicious and filling. You can't really see, but there is chicken, cheese and hot sauce in there all on top of a small whole wheat tortilla. I finished up lunch with a dark chocolate peanut butter cup from TJ's. Yum.

For dinner last night, I came home to the husband starting dinner once again. :) We didn't defrost any meat and really had nothing planned, but he came up with the great idea to make a stir fry.

Mike's Cooking Blooper (this should become a segment on here):
Mike learned last night that rice expands 100% after it is cooked. He realized this after he had made 3 cups (!!) of uncooked rice turn into 6 cups. Let's just say we will be eating leftover rice for a while...
Big Ol' Pot O Rice
We had a good laugh about that, then I took over cooking since he had a friend over to talk man stuff (i.e. bachelor parties, brewing beer, and how rice expands after you cook it).

Since he had already cooked the rice and sauteed some onions and peppers. I just added some chicken and steak that was leftover in the fridge, and made a sauce to finish the meal.
I made a sauce out of a bunch of condiments that we had from when we made swish swish with my family over Thanksgiving. I used a tablespoon or two of each and the sauce turned out OK.
I let the boys dig in to their rice bowls with the chicken and steak and then made a new batch of just veggies for myself. I used kidney beans, carrots, green beans, corn and onions for my dinner and then attempted a slightly sweeter sauce to mix in.




I couldn't really tell you what I did differently with the sauce, I think I added more soy and more sweet chili sauce, but it turned out much better. Sorry boys!
It was a great unplanned dinner and we have tons of leftovers to get us through a few more meals. Does anyone want to come over for some rice later? We have plenty to spare.

For breakfast this morning I made some hot oats. Ever since we had drinks with Layne, I have been thinking about the hot oats she was talking about. She said she likes to add too much milk, peanut butter and a few chocolate chips to hers. I decided to give it a try with the last few spoonfuls of the chocolate chip cookie dough almond butter I made before Christmas. Yum! She was right, it really does taste like a Reese's Cup!

The best part was that my almond butter really didn't melt into the oats like peanut butter probably does, so every once in a while, I would get a chewy bite of almond butter. Sooo good!


Well, it is back to work for me. I hope everyone has a great weekend!


Yesterday's Stats:
Calories (-) 352
Sodium (+) 339
Protein (-) 10

No comments:

Post a Comment