Recipes

Friday, January 20, 2012

Purple Cabbage Slaw-some

It's FRIDAY! We all know it is my favorite day of the work week. :)


Let me just tell you how awesome dinner was last night. I was skeptical of the combination of this recipe, so I didn't have too high of hopes, but it was total amazeballs.


After getting our GoLocal produce box last week, I knew I wanted to incorporate the purple cabbage into some type of taco meal. After some Google searching, I found a recipe from one of the foodie blogs that I had seen before - Joy the Baker. And, after tasting the recipe I made from her blog last night, I am adding her to my reader STAT!


We made Joy's Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos. Such a simple concept, and definitely something similar to what I have made before, but the combination of flavors, textures, and ingredients was like hitting the taste bud jackpot.

Mike added some sauteed spinach to his

I wasn't sure I would be a fan of the raw cabbage slaw on my warm, soft, bean and sweet potato taco, but it was unbelievable. I wasn't sure Mike would get over the fact that I put cilantro in this dish, since he hates that herb with a passion (why??), but he loved it. I wasn't sure I was even hungry when I went to build my second, enormous taco, but I knew that I hadn't had enough of that flavor.


These tacos had an amazing taste - lots of lime, cilantro, onion, and red pepper flakes, but the texture and combination were so good. The crunch of the cabbage, chew of the sweet potatoes, and mush of the black beans were a great combination. The best part? Lots and lots of leftovers. :) My company ordered pizza for everyone today, but I am seriously considering skipping the free meal and just eating my leftovers... but I rarely pass on a free meal. I can always have the tacos later.

Gym Time
My cousin made it into town pretty late last night, so I didn't get to bed until after 11:30. I feel pretty tired today, but I made it to the gym to get in a 30 minute cardio sesh. I attempted to skip, but made myself go since I am not sure I will be able to go tomorrow. We are going to watch my other cousin play soccer tomorrow morning and we will probably try to hang out with her and my Aunt for a while after the game. A gym trip may not be in the cards, but we'll see.

I think tonight we might hang out or maybe go out for dinner and drinks... I guess we are just going to play this weekend by ear.

Have a great weekend everyone!!

Yesterday's Stats:
Calories (+) 105
Sodium (+) 673
Protein (-) 8

No comments:

Post a Comment