Recipes

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Up Past 9! and a Budget Makeover

Since I am on a roll with self-diagnosing, why not throw a brain aneurysm in there for good measure? I am kidding. sort of.

My head has been pounding for the last 5 days. Maybe it is the super dry and cold weather, maybe it is the fact that I have spend the last 10 days around 2 one year old's getting over a cold, and then a toddler and a preschooler getting over a cold. Either way, something is going on in this head of mine.

I got to the gym this morning and jumped on the treadmill, thinking I really only had enough time for that. After 2 minutes of running, each step was accompanied by an intense pain through my skull. So I lasted only 10 minutes. Since I normally don't couple cardio with leg workouts, I figured this would be a perfect day to get that in.

I did some squats, lunges, leg presses and calf raises. By the time I finished, my legs were like jelly. At my gym, the work out room is on the 2nd floor, so getting down the steps after a leg work out is always interesting. I have to hold on to the railing for dear life. It was a good work out though, and I am sure I will be paying for it over the next few days. It is a good sore, I know...

Dinner Last Night

When I work until 6, I don't get home until close to 7, so it is just easier for Mike to start or make dinner.   We discussed some pizza ideas yesterday and what he ended up making turned out delicious.

I had found a pizza dough last week at Lowe's Foods that was whole wheat, and the ingredients list was pretty short, so I figured we would give it a try. I think it is my favorite so far. It had a crunchy crust, but was soft and doughy under the toppings.


He used salsa, tomato paste, and some pizza sauce to make a spicy, southwestern style sauce. Then he loaded the pizza with grilled onions and peppers, cooked pinto beans, and shredded monterey and cheddar cheese.

This tasted awesome. I added a little hot sauce to mine, and it was pretty perfect as far as flavor goes. Pinto beans are really tasty on a pizza. I had my doubts, but not anymore!

After dinner, we met our friend, Layne, and a few others for a drink. Yeah, you read that right, we went out on a school night. After going to bed the last few nights at 8:30 pm, we decided that we needed to get out of the house. We went to World of Beer, where the specialty is... yup, beer.

I forgot to take any pictures of my beer, but I had the Bell's Christmas Ale. It was a pretty dark beer for me, but it had a wonderful toffee flavor to it. It was not too sweet, but not too dry either. It was really yummy. It was my first time going to that bar, and I really liked it. It is in a really good location too, where there are lots of restaurants around to order from. They don't serve food there, so they let you order from any of the surrounding restaurants while you hang out. Pretty cool concept.

I only had 1 beer, and Mike maybe had 2. We only stayed for about an hour and a half, but it was nice to get out of the house, catch up with a friend, and act our age. We will probably have to go to bed at 7:30 tonight to make up for it. ;)


Budgeting

To say the upcoming year is going to be busy, is a major understatement. Our spring, summer, and fall are filling up fast and I am already feeling a little overwhelmed by all that we are involved in. The only problem is that we really can't cut any of it out.

We have 3 very good friends getting married as well as Mike's younger sister. Everyone who is getting married this year, was in our wedding and we are a part of theirs, to give you an idea of how close they all are to us. Combine those with the showers, bachelor/ette parties, family obligations, and our own personal trips and celebrations and we have one crazy year ahead. Fun for sure, but expensive and exhausting too.

We are going to have to take a serious look at our budgeting and saving to see where we can fit everything in. I guess we will have to make some decisions on what is most important and how we can pull all of this off without damaging our personal budgeting goals.

Should be a pretty interesting year for us. Stay tuned for the shizz show that is sure to follow! :)


Yesterday's Stats
Calories (+) 22
Sodium (+) 603
Protein 0

4 comments:

  1. I've had a sinus headache for days. The dayquil sinex seems to work pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had a headache too but I thought it was from lack of sleep!! WOW! Looks like you had a blast for Christmas and spoiled!! hehe! Love the resolutions too. Miss you and we should get together soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW Jeremy and I have decided to join our church so in two weeks we are starting six weeks of classes. Soon after we hope to have Preston dedicated....I will let you know because he would love to have his Auntie Carolyn and Uncle Mike to see him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must be the weather then!!! It hurts more when I move and bend over, so it must be sinus.
    Jenn - You let us know when, we will be there! Maybe we can come up one evening to see you guys soon! XOXO

    ReplyDelete