Recipes

Monday, January 9, 2012

OMGorgeous Saturday!

Hello friends, welcome back to the work week. Blah...

I have all sorts of things to discuss about this past weekend. It was an awesome weekend, with lots of good food, exercise, accomplishments, and gatherings with friends. I worked all night on Friday and ended up having a pretty smooth night. I am always thankful for those. :)

Saturday morning, I got home and went to sleep for a few hours. When I woke up, I had a very exciting delivery on my front door step.
Our very first GoLocal Produce delivery! It was full of wonderful goodies that I couldn't wait to start eating.
Below the romaine lettuce, there was even more!
I love that they always include staple items, like bananas, onions, and potatoes. We rarely buy red peppers because they are kinda pricey, so I was pumped there were a few in there. In addition to everything else, this pack included limes, tomatoes, avocados, apples, oranges, and even fresh cilantro. Plenty of produce to last us a week, if not longer. We are going to try to make our meals based on what we get each week, so I am pretty excited about this. Also, every week, they always include a little surprise item...
BEETS! I have no idea how to make anything out of them, and I have no idea if I like them, but that is all part of the fun. That is one of the main reasons I wanted to join a produce delivery service that you don't have a choice in what you get. I wanted it to open my eyes to new veggies and fruits that I have never tried before. I have been googling beet recipes for the last hour and only really found roasted and pickling recipes. I think I will try roasting them, but if you have any ideas, please share!

I went for a great run on Saturday, since the weather was absolutely gorgeous. I went in a pair of yoga pants and a t-shirt and had to roll up my pants mid-run. I was so hot! I spent about 10 minutes walking and talking to my mom before starting my 2.5 mile run around my neighborhood. It felt so great to be running outside again! When I got home, I wanted to get in an arm and ab workout so I busted out the dumbbells. I had planned to go to the gym, but this worked out really well and I was able to do everything I wanted to.

Once I was finished, I couldn't wait any longer to dig into something from that box.
I had some tomato slices with sea salt and pepper and a fried egg with an apple on the side. It was delicious. 

By the time I got in the shower, it was 4:30 (I guess that is what happens when you sleep until 12:30...). We had plans to go over to a friend's house to make pizzas and hang out. We haven't had a chance to get together with a lot of our friends since before the holidays, so I was really looking forward to catching up.

We brought a bunch of ingredients so everyone could make their own pizzas. We decided to go with full sized pizzas and everyone partnered up to share, since we didn't really have enough pans for everyone. It worked out great.


Lindsay and I made a monster pizza using pepper jack cheese, banana peppers, green peppers, onions, sweet apple chicken sausage, roma tomatoes, black olives, and mushrooms. Holy yum. Everyone made fun of it because they thought it wouldn't cook and we would have to eat it with a fork (like that is a problem), but it turned out perfect.
Before
After
I enjoyed my slices with some vino and a chocolate brownie after. Mmmmm.

We didn't stay out too late, since I was exhausted, and we wanted to make it to church in the morning. We had a great time with our friends and I loved catching up with these lovely ladies.

Sunday was a pretty great day as well. I was so pumped about Saturday's weather, so Mike planned a great little date day in the park after a run. Well, the weather wasn't quite as pretty and Mike was feeling a little run down. He is definitely getting whatever cold is making it's way around town. We decided to just go grocery shopping after church and take the pups for a walk. Thankfully I got in a great workout on Saturday, so I didn't feel bad about not getting one in on Sunday.

Franklin is totally losing all of his great leash training since we aren't going on so many runs lately. I had such a hard time keeping him on my side and not pulling me everywhere. :( We will have to work on that.

Mike and I spent the rest of yesterday getting our kitchen and living room back in order after finally taking down our sad tree.
Once everything was clean, we spent a few hours flipping between episodes of Chopped and football and then made dinner. Since Mike wasn't feeling too well, I wanted to make something warm and comforting. Chicken pot pie was on my mind so we decided to try to make a lightened up version.
We had some refrigerated biscuit dough in the fridge from when we had company last week, and I figured we could use that as the crust. We used 4 biscuits to create the crust, so it was pretty thin. Then I made my own creamy sauce so that I wouldn't have to use the sodium-rich cream of chicken soup. I just used some low sodium chicken and vegetable broth, skim milk, and whisked in some whole wheat flour to create about 1.5 cups of sauce. I added some sea salt and pepper and it tasted pretty good. We threw in some grilled chicken breast, boiled red potatoes, and boiled corn and then topped with the rest of the crust. We baked at 350 F for about 20 minutes, until the crust was brown and done.

Overall, it tasted pretty good. Definitely nothing like the frozen pot pies we had as children, but those are just not something I will buy or eat these days, so this will do. I put this into a nutrition calculator and the stats, while not great, were not horrible. I figured this was at least 6 servings, if not more, so that is what I plugged in.
Per Serving:
Calories - 445
Fat - 6.2
Cholesterol - 31
Sodium - 561
Carbohydrates - 11.1
Protein - 11.8

I enjoyed mine with a green salad with balsamic vinaigrette. I went with a half portion of the pot pie, since I wanted to be able to eat cookies while watching a movie last night. :)
We will probably be having the same for dinner tonight since Mike is still feeling crummy and we have lots of leftovers.

It is back to the grind around here. I'm always sad to see the weekends end. Have a great day!

Yesterday's Stats:
Calories (+) 195
Sodium (+) 1587 (this is based on me using canned cream of chicken, which I didn't)
Protein 0 - I am really getting my Protein lately!

3 comments:

  1. Can I live with you and Mike? Everyday when I read this blog and see what you guys make, I get really jealous haha. Also I'm glad you enjoyed my oatmeal idea! Love my Reese's oatmeal :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure! Come on! haha. Yeah, it was delish! I will be making it again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could make beet soup...I think it's called borscht. Try googling it.

    ReplyDelete