Recipes

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

where are you, Motivation?

Source

People, my cardio mojo is still lost...  I am starting to get a bit frustrated. I haven't done any type of cardio since last Friday. Even though I would have liked to stay in bed this morning, Mike forced me to get up. I had planned on just doing cardio today, no weights or other work outs to get in the way. That was a big, fat, FAIL!

Well, I got to the gym, jumped on the treadmill, and realized my shoe was feeling loose. So I stopped and tightened my laces. While I was doing that, I decided, why not try a different cardio machine to see if that will shake things up a bit. I got on the stationary bike and started pedaling... nope... no fun. Actually, within seconds I remembered why I hate any other cardio machine out there. Back to the treadmill. Ran for 2 minutes, felt exhausted, like I had just finished a marathon (side note, I have never finished a marathon, so you can imagine just how tired I felt, for no reason at all). Slowed down to a fast paced walk and increased my incline to try to compensate. Still not feeling it. Tried to run again, and felt as if my legs were one thousand pounds each... back to walking. Finally, I just quit. I figured it would do me no good to half-ass a cardio session, so I might as well do something that I know will get my heart going and end with me feeling good about myself.

I decided to spend my gym time on legs. It is time for it in my rotation, so it isn't like I didn't need it. And I worked pretty hard at my lunges and squats and ended up feeling really worked after, so at least I can be happy with my work out. But, I am just so annoyed that I can't seem to get any cardio in. I can't figure out why I have no desire to run, when normally I am excited about it. I still have a lot of motivation to work out, and have gotten in a good weight work out every day, but I just don't feel like doing cardio... Why???

I have decided to break down the most common reasons why people lose their motivation, in my opinion, to see if any could be the reason why I am lost right now.
  • Time - I have been getting to the gym with plenty of time to get both cardio and weights in, so that is not the problem. We have also been staying in town this entire month, and plan to for the next month, so I don't feel like I am in a time crunch at all.
  • Lack of Sleep - This is certainly not the problem. I can't figure out why I am even tired when I go to bed most nights between 9 and 10. I did work at the hospital last night, but I got off on time and was home and in bed by midnight. That is not that late, especially since I went to bed at roughly 8:45 on Monday night. 
  • Injury - no injuries that I know of. I actually feel really great (body wise) and am feeling stronger with each of my work outs. 
  • Poor Eating Habits - As you all can see each day, I have been right on track with what I want to be consuming when it comes to calories, sodium, and protein. One thing that I may need to do is to evaluate my nutrients to make sure I am getting enough. Maybe I could start taking a multivitamin or maybe I need to start making veggie and fruit juices again. We have a pretty stocked fridge right now, so maybe that will give me the energy I need. I haven't changed what I am eating lately, so I don't know why just this week I feel so run down, but I think I will give that a shot.
  • Plateau - I am right in the smack middle of a plateau, which is pretty normal for me to feel a little unmotivated. The scale is staying the same, and on some days, it is even creeping up. But, I know my body pretty well, and I know that this is just part of the journey. My clothes fit better, I feel slimmer, and others notice my body changes, so I know it will swing back. I feel like that makes me MORE motivated if nothing else.
  • Challenge - This is another area that I think could be an issue. When I am not feeling challenged, I seem to let go a little bit. Right now I am itching to get outside, go running on a trail, or try something new (like the recent basketball exercise I have been doing), but I know it is too cold (for me) to go outside, and I am not sure my basketball exercise will give me the same result as running does. I need some kind of change up to my normal routine, I just need to figure out what. Since obviously the stationary bike was not the solution. 
  • Making Excuses - This one is definitely hitting right on the nose. See the bullet above this one? Yeah, that would be excuses. I make excuses that I can't run outside because it is too cold, or I don't have the proper clothing... but I really just need to do it. I am just such a wimp (<----- another excuse). 
I definitely think it helps to have those all out there. Now I can see the areas that maybe I can focus on and make a change. I hope that Mike will join me at the gym starting tomorrow, since he has had to go to work early this week. That might be helpful to have him there to push me and snap out of this rut.

Sorry for a boring rant post today. I am hoping tomorrow will be better. If anyone has any good motivational tips for me, please send them my way!

I am making those tacos again tonight... yes THOSE tacos. I just can't get enough. And, my friend Lindsay made them last night and sent me a text about how good they were, so now I have to have more. :)

Yesterday's Stats:
Calories (+) 76
Sodium (-) 84
Protein (-) 2

2 comments:

  1. Ya not going to happen on the gym tomorrow... Still in training all week and need to get here early more than ever tomorrow. However, all this weekend we will get your cardio mojo going again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AT the gym... After reading that it seemed somewhat perverted.

    ReplyDelete