Recipes

Friday, April 6, 2012

back in the kitchen

This was the post that was supposed to go up yesterday, but I was having picture issues... so, here it is today, with 2 posts in 1.

--

Recently, we got a head of cauliflower in our golocal produce box and I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it. I have been seeing a recipe for cauliflower pizza crust floating around pinterest and wanted to give it a try. I followed the recipe exactly, except for a few of the seasonings.


I threw my chopped "riced" cauliflower into the food processor and tried not to let it go for too long.


Then I mixed in the ingredients to make the dough. Everything seemed to be working out exactly as the recipe suggested.


I patted the dough out into a 9 inch round, and then threw it in the oven for about 10-15 minutes.


When I took it out, the top even looked as if it were going to be perfect, but then I tried to run a spatula underneath of it. It was completely burnt on the bottom, but the inside of the crust, was still a bit undercooked.


I tried to do the process again with a separate batch, but the same thing happened. I am not sure what went wrong, maybe I over processed the cauliflower? Either way, it turned into a mess that I still haven't taken the time to clean off of my pizza pans. Plus, we had to find something else for dinner.


I did have a taste of this "crust" before I threw it away, and it was pretty tasty. I could totally see how it would make for a good pizza like crust. I just wish it would have turned out better so we could have loaded it up with toppings and enjoyed it. Oh well.

--
 
Lately, work has been super demanding and I have been putting in some serious overtime. While I am enjoying the challenge and new found responsibilities, I am feeling really exhausted and a little overwhelmed. I feel like I have been eating and sleeping my work lately, and that is not really the best way to live. I haven't made an actual dinner in over a week or so, except the above example in which we ended up having to go with a quick back up option anyway. We have been living on easy dinners of eggs, sandwiches, tortilla pizzas, and quick salads. Although they have remained healthy, I was really ready for a real, made from scratch, meal last night.

We got home from work and Mike wanted to go for a run. We had gone to the gym yesterday morning, but didn't have time for any cardio, so the plan was to go after work. I was really tired when we got home and I decided to let Mike go running without me. While he ran, I made dinner.

I made one of our favorites - Joy the Baker's Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos.


I think the best thing ever, is when you have a desire to make something, and you actually have every ingredient you need. That is a pretty rare occurrence,  but it happened for me last night. The only thing I didn't have was a lot of purple cabbage, but I had plenty of green cabbage, so I made a simple swap and it turned out fine.


 When Mike got home from his 5 mile run (whoo hoo!), we had dinner in front of the TV while we caught up on sitcoms.


 I had 2 tacos, and they were amazing.


--

Mike has been joining me in the gym this week and we have been getting in some weight training. My upper body is in serious pain right now and it is difficult to raise my arms above my waist. But, it feels good to be getting back into the weight training.

Yesterday, I brought a salad with me for lunch. I was really wanting some croutons to go on it, but I didn't have any, so I decided to toast a piece of 10 grain bread and chop it up for my salad. Pretty much - - best decision ever.


They were better than croutons.
I also brought some yellow bell pepper strips and white bean hummus to go along with my salad, and it was a great lunch.




We are running low on a lot of things at the house, so this morning I went with a simple piece of toast and cut up cantaloupe for breakfast. Since it has cooled down a lot these past few days, I have been making hot tea at work. It warms me right up, and hopefully will give me enough energy to get through this last day of work.


I think my whole team is ready for the weekend. We have all been working longer hours, studying at night, and putting in a lot of brain power in order to get ready for a new project that launched today. It feels good that we were all able to meet our goals and it has provided me with a whole new view on what kind of work goes into my job. Speaking of, I had better get back to that!

Before I do... look at these two... aren't they just the cutest?? It is hard to tell where one begins and the other ends. They are the two best friends that anyonecouldhave.


Have a great weekend everyone!

Yesterday's Stats: -

Calories (-) 744 !!
Sodium (-) 185
Protein (-) 6 :(

No comments:

Post a Comment