Recipes

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

sweet honeysuckle

I am feeling a little bad about the craptastic blog post from yesterday. I was having a rough day and just not feeling it. I hope I can make up for it today!

Around this time last year, Mike was working at a restaurant part time, doing trivia for their run club on Monday nights. I, as well as several others, would meet at the restaurant and then head out for the run. Since there were varying levels of runners in the group, we would all meet back at the restaurant after our run for some beer, trivia, and $1 tacos. It was a really fun group.

There is a trail that we would all run along, and mostly everyone would do 4 miles or so. I would usually only run about 1-1.5 miles and then turn around and head back, since it would take me over 45 minutes to do just 2-3 miles. I had only made it to the end of the trail once or twice, because I never seemed to have enough in me to get me there and back.

Since that same trail is really close to the hospital that I work at part time, I decided to go for a run between jobs to clear my head of the craziness that was yesterday. It was really funny, because I finished the same section of the trail that we used to run with the group in less than 28 minutes. It is amazing how far I have really come in just one year.


It was really nice out yesterday evening, and the breeze was just right. The trees allow for a lot of shade along the trail, and it provides just the right amount of hills, twists, and scenery for a good work out. My legs always seem a lot more sore when I run this trail than when I run anywhere else.




As I was running, I kept smelling honeysuckle and couldn't help but be reminded of my childhood. My brother, sister, and I would go searching in the woods for that sweet plant, just to have a little taste. I never found any honeysuckle yesterday, but I know it is out there, just because of the strong smell. I am just too chicken to actually go into the woods anymore.


This trail also goes over the interstate, which always really freaks me out. I don't know why, but I always just imagine the bridge collapsing and me falling into the high speed cars below. I am so weird.


When I finished running, I almost couldn't remember the day that I had, with the most annoying co-worker ever that had grated my nerves all day. I can't say that running always helps to clear my head, but it definitely worked yesterday. It was exactly what I needed to get another 4 hours of work out of me.

--

When I got home last night, I took a look inside our fridge and thought - "Gonna have to go out for lunch tomorrow." We are severely in need of a grocery shopping trip, but we aren't going until tonight. I told Mike he was treating me to lunch today, but I changed my mind this morning. Somehow, I was able to get quite a bit of food together for my breakfast and lunch, even though we need to go grocery shopping. 


All packed up, I have a banana, orange slices, an apple, a small salad with cukes and tomatoes over romaine and spinach, some ranch dressing (makes a boring salad sooo much better), a (colored) hard boiled egg, a slice of bread, and some canned rice and beans. 

Seriously, I brought some canned rice and beans with me for lunch today? I have to say, I am really excited about it. haha. My body has been CRAVING something besides salad lately, so I am excited for a bit of protein and carbs for lunch. I found this can in my pantry, and after reading the ingredients and nutrition facts, I figured it was the way to go for today. Nothing like cleaning out the pantry in preparation for a grocery shopping trip!


I threw one serving of this mixture into a container and then threw in half of a slice of pepper jack cheese. I figure adding a little cheese will make anything taste better. I am about to go dig in, because my stomach is growling!

My friend, Lindsay, told me about a delicious and easy dinner idea that she made a few days ago, so I think I will be making it tonight. I can't get it out of my head!!! 3 ingredients that I heart... avocado, black beans, fried egg. BOOM! 

Have a good day!

Yesterday's Stats:
Calories (-) 433
Sodium (-) 476
Protein (-) 13


No comments:

Post a Comment