Recipes

Friday, April 13, 2012

southwestern stuffed acorn squash and a moment for the pups

Happy, happy Friday!

I finished up my breakfast a bit ago... pretty boring today, but it was filling and nutritious.


I am so obsessed with Trader Joe's 10 grain soft bread. It tastes like a bagel so I love to toast it with a little earth balance on top. It is so yummy!

Yesterday's eats were pretty awesome, if I do say so myself. For lunch, I had leftover roasted veggies and a small spinach and fruit salad, which even without dressing, tasted amazing. Don't mind the independence day plate, I found that in my office drawer...


Blueberries and strawberries are so tasty right now! I am not normally a huge blueberry fan, but they are so sweet and flavorful right now, I just can't get enough. I was completely stuffed after lunch yesterday, which is always the best.

For dinner last night, I decided to go with stuffing the acorn squash rather than using brown sugar and butter. I made a really great filling for them so now I have a recipe to share with you!


Southwestern Stuffed Acorn Squash

2 acorn squash - about softball size
1 cup of cooked quinoa
2 cups fresh vegetables - chopped - I used zucchini, red pepper, and yellow pepper
1/2 cup yellow onion - chopped
3 cloves of garlic - chopped
1/2 tablespoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 oz. cream cheese
1/4 cup salsa - temp to your liking
1-2 tablespoons EVOO



Slice your acorn squash in half, lengthwise.




Scoop out the innards of your squash and place cut side up in a slightly greased baking dish, with about 1/2 inch of water in the bottom. Bake at 400 F for 45 min to 1 hour.

While your squash is cooking, saute your veggies and garlic in the olive oil until tender. Add in your cooked quinoa, cumin, sea salt, and pepper. Finally, fold in your cream cheese and salsa.


Your squash is done when it is easily poked with a fork and is tender.


Fill your squash with the quinoa and veggie stuffing, top with additional cheese or salsa, and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes to ensure everything is warm. We didn't add any additional cheese and our squash was piping hot, so we just dug right in.


I am a big fan of acorn squash. It has a very similar flavor to pumpkin, which we all know is one of my faves. This meal was really delicious and just a tad spicy. It could easily be adjusted with whatever type of salsa you use.


Can't wait for lunch!

--

Since we all know this blog is really about Franklin and Deluca, and not really my healthy living, let's take a moment to discuss something.

Last night, as Mike and I were cleaning up the house in preparation for this weekend, I asked Mike to hand me the broom. As he lifted the big, long broom, and moved it toward me, Franklin ran away, tucking his tail, and cowering in the corner. Deluca was completely un-phased.

This actually happens a lot with Franklin. If we pick up something too quickly, or lift something over our heads, he gets really skittish and freaks out. And, we all know about the peeing issue he has if we raise our voices.

It makes me wonder what happened to him in the short 6 months of his life before we brought him home.

Maybe he has never been hit and he is just a really scared and anxious dog. We have never hit him before, so it just makes me wonder why he would have any fear at all when it came to a broom, let alone us.

One thing about getting a dog from a shelter is that you never really know where they came from. Especially a puppy, since they really don't give a big description of their previous home life. I guess all we can do is give him lots of love and attention, and hope he grows out of it.

It just makes me think a lot about all the situations where someone could be cruel to animals, and I just don't understand it. How could you ever hurt these faces??



All they want to do is make you happy, so it just breaks my heart that anyone would ever want to hurt them.

--

Have a great weekend everyone! Go home and hug your pups (or someone else's)! :)

Yesterday's Stats:
Calories (-) 22
Sodium (-) 202
Protein (+) 8

No comments:

Post a Comment