Recipes

Thursday, April 26, 2012

black bean, avocado, and egg sammy-licious

Holy crap, dinner last night was ah-mahzing.


Lindsay gets total credit for this one, but she didn't name it. I went with a real original name, since I am oober creative. Thank you, Lindsay, this will now become a regular meal in our house, right along with black bean and sweet potato tacos.

And.... so, so easy!

Black Bean, Avocado, and Egg Sammy
For 1 sandwich 
2 whole grain sandwich thins, or 1 piece of naan (I couldn't find any whole grain at the store, but it does exist)
1/2 cup black beans
1 tsp cumin
1/4 cup sweet onion, chopped
pinch of red pepper flakes
chopped garlic (to taste)
1 avocado
1-2 tsp garlic powder
1 egg
1-2 tablespoons olive oil


I started by sauteing my chopped onion in a pan with the olive oil. Next, I threw in the chopped garlic (I used about 1/4 tbsp, maybe). Once the onions were soft, I added the cumin and red pepper flakes until fragrant. Finally, add in your black beans and mash with the back of a spoon until they are hot throughout.


In a bowl, throw in the avocado and garlic powder and mash with a fork. Set aside.


Bake sandwich thin or bread of your choice in the oven until warm.



While the bread is baking, fry an egg in some olive oil, leaving the yolk runny.

Pile her up and enjoy! 





You will be thanking Lindsay too.

--

Some other recent eats-


Toast and Tea... always reminds me of being little and having this with my grandma or mom. I eat this at least twice a week as an adult and it still reminds me of being a kid.


There's my canned beans and rice! It was so good! The pepper jack melted inside was a nice touch. I think if I had added some salsa, it would have been a home run, but it was still quite tasty!


Sauteed zucchini and green cabbage, we enjoyed this along side our sammies last night.

--

I have been keeping my calories and sodium really low over the last few days. While this is great, it really is because we have been lacking in the grocery department. I hope I can keep the sodium low, but I am really in need of more protein. My body has been CRAVING anything beans, meat, etc., which makes sense since I have had so little over the last few days. I added some protein powder to my oats this morning, so hopefully that will help! 

Hope everyone is having a great day so far! It is pretty busy around here, so I better get back to it.

Happy Thursday!

Yesterday's Stats:
Calories (-) 403
Sodium (-) 412
Protein (-) 14





No comments:

Post a Comment