Recipes

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

a cake that is also a cookie

Last night's surprise dinner was absolutely fabulous. Mike took all of the things that I love, and created a wonderful meal. I was stuffed by the end, but made sure to save room for the dessert that I brought home.


To say Mike has an obsession with cookie cake is a severe under statement. The boy is a freak about them. Anytime he sees one in a store, or someone gets one for a special occasion, he raves about it for a week. "What a great idea, a huge cookie? Who doesn't love a huge cookie?" When I offered to handle dessert for our valentine's dinner, I knew exactly what to get.

When I arrived home, all of our furniture was moved since we got our carpets cleaned. I was so excited to get home and see how they looked, which they looked way better than before. We have such a small area of carpet in the downstairs, it just gets so dirty in the common walk ways.


The table was set and Mike was busy getting our first course ready. Spinach and apple salad, with a crab cake and balsamic vinaigrette. Yum! The crab cake was delicious and spinach is my favorite salad green.


Our main course, was goat cheese and herb stuffed chicken breast with creamy risotto and steamed brussel sprouts. Could this meal be any more me? Absolutely perfect.


I ate all of the brussel sprouts, half of the chicken and half of the risotto, the rest is waiting for me for lunch. The chicken was pretty amazing. It was so tender and juicy with just the right amount of goat cheese stuffing. Here is a better look at the stuffed side.


Mike is supposed to do a guest post with the recipe for this, since he made it up on his own. I will have to keep reminding him...

I had stopped to get some wine for our meal and was really looking forward to this bottle I found. After taking a few sips, I decided I either didn't like it, or just wasn't in the mood for wine. Either way, Mike really enjoyed my choice. I usually love 14 Hands wine, so I think I just wasn't in the mood. There were also cards and gifts to exchange.


I got Mike an iTunes gift card and printed out a list of the songs from the movie 50/50. He loved all the music in that movie so I thought it would be a fun gift to get the soundtrack for him. Did you know they don't sell soundtracks anymore? If they do, I couldn't find it... not even online.


Mike's gift to me was a little confusing. I am excited about it, but I am not really sure I understand what it is. I told him when he does his guest post, he will have to explain better, but he is planning on getting my first 100 blog posts bound in a book for me. Sounds cool, I am just not really sure how that works. I guess I will just have to wait and see. This is post #86, so I have a few weeks until then. The dinner itself was gift enough, so I was a happy camper last night. :)


We spent the rest of the evening on the couch with our true valentines - our little demon pups, catching up on the DVR. We also enjoyed our dessert from this spot and it was really delicious.


So that was our night. Perfectly simple.

I am off to polish off that stuffed chicken and risotto. I am getting pretty hungry over here!

Gym Update
So when I thought my arms would be sore from chest compressions on Monday, I had NO IDEA! holy crap, they feel bruised almost! I did a good chest work out yesterday, so my arms are officially useless today. I decided today would be a good leg day to give my upper body a little rest. I did a pretty intense lower body work out with a few abs thrown in. 

Yesterday's Stats - NOT GOOD!
Calories (+) 900 (!)
Sodium (+) 512
Protein (+) 31

No comments:

Post a Comment