Recipes

Monday, February 13, 2012

fancy weekend plans for the elderly

We had an eventful, yet relaxing weekend in the Black household...

Franklin's normal spot, over  Deluca
There was a lot of lounging, a lot of eating, and a lot of great company. We ran some errands, played a mean game of basketball at the gym, and took some time to really enjoy the family and friends that came into town. It was a lovely weekend. 


Friday night was an evening of unwinding. I worked late, so by the time I got home, Mike had prepped all of our toppings for a pizza that we had planned to make. His sister and her fiance were on their way to our house, so we straightened up a bit before they got there.


After eating some pizza and catching up with them for a bit, we all sat down and watched a movie and then hit the bed pretty early. My, how we are getting old...

We got up on Saturday and just lounged around until we headed to the gym. I made everyone some eggs with sauteed veggies and toast. Goat cheese for me, shredded cheddar for them. I am pretty obsessed with the goat cheese in my eggs right now.


Before we left for the gym, our produce box arrived. Since I haven't posted a picture in a while, I thought you might enjoy seeing what we got this week. Holy monster carrots!


The four of us ventured off to the gym and played a game of pick up basketball with a random guy on the court. It was a lot of fun. I really enjoy playing that game for a change in cardio on the weekends.

After the gym, we spent a good few hours running around. We went to BJ's where we stocked up on a few groceries that we needed. We also went to Dick's to look for new running shoes for Mike and I, but we didn't end up finding any that we liked. Dick's was having a huge clearance on their winter coats and apparel, so I did end up getting a new coat and ski pants for our upcoming ski trip. The pants are hot pink so I am super stoked about that, and the coat has a fur lined hood... baller.


Saturday afternoon and evening I spent in the kitchen. My sister in law wanted me to make some almond butter for her to take home, and since BJ's had a great deal on almonds, I agreed. Freddie is going to be pretty excited, too, since I plan to make him a big batch for his birthday.


Then, I prepped a bunch of food for a dinner that we were planning on making for ourselves and an additional couple. Since my friend and her fiance were also coming to town, we had decided to make dinner at home instead of going out. I loved that idea and I was pretty pumped to have a sit down dinner party.


My sister in law and her fiance helped out by making some additional appetizers that we sat out for everyone to pick on. I made some bacon wrapped jalapeno peppers since I am clearly obsessed (thanks, Lindsay), and they made some garlic knots and artichoke dip.

Slice, fill with cream cheese, wrap in bacon - DONE!
For the main course, I made How Sweet's Roasted Potato Salad, since that is pretty much my go to side dish any time we have people over for dinner. It covers all the bases (veggies, starches), and is so delicious.

I usually swap the green beans for brussel sprouts, just cause.
Mike was busy grilling up some steaks for everyone and a piece of chicken for his sister. We used a bottle of marinade that we don't use very often, but it is our favorite one. We try to save it for special occasions since it is not very healthy. :)


After dinner, we all hung out, chatting about life, upcoming weddings and travel, and enjoyed some beer and wine. I believe we were all in bed before midnight, so we had a good night's rest.

Sunday, after church and lunch, everyone headed home and the Black household did a lot of lounging. I went out and about for a little bit, but then came home to enjoy some rest and relaxation with my pups. Funny side note - Franklin has to be touching Deluca at all times... a paw, his back, or mostly his head, have GOT to be resting on his big brother every time they are laying down. It is so funny. Exhibit A:

  
They are the two best friends that anyonecouldhave.

I couldn't go to the gym this morning since I had a simulated code blue assessment to do at the hospital at 8 AM. Believe me, after 600+ compressions on a plastic mannequin, my arms will be plenty sore tomorrow... workout complete. haha. 

Hope everyone had as good of a weekend as we did!

Yesterday's Stats:
Calories (+) 71
Sodium (+) 1581 - we had Mexican for lunch :(
Protein (-) 2

No comments:

Post a Comment