Recipes

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Egg Salad with a Twist


I have been thinking a lot about egg salad lately... I am not. sure. why...

When Mike hard boiled some eggs for me the other day, I have been trying to come up with my own recipe for egg salad... but then I just couldn't get that curried greek yogurt idea out of my brain. So, I went with it. I did throw in some additional veggies like carrots and celery, so it wasn't exactly the same thing, but same flavor I am sure.


We loved this egg salad! As I was making it, I asked Mike if he liked egg salad and he said sometimes he tastes it and thinks to himself "self, that is good." So I let him have a bite. I warned him that it was not the traditional egg salad that he was probably thinking about with mayo and mustard, but he loved it. He loved the sweet flavor and tangy combination from the yogurt and cumin. We had a winner.


I packed us both a few lunches out of this salad and it was a nice change up to our traditional leftovers for lunch. I had mine on a whole wheat bun with sliced tomatoes with a blood orange greek yogurt and some buffalo wing pretzel crisps. I am certainly getting my protein in lately with all the added egg and yogurt in my diet.


BTW, the blood orange Chobani? AWESOME. These new flavors are soooo good!


Remember the other day when I made a so-so dinner of a homemade pasta sauce with veggies over whole wheat spaghetti? Well, we had a bunch leftover, and I didn't want it to go to waste. Mike decided to doctor it up a bit by adding some seasonings and jalapeno chicken sausage. We ate that for dinner on Tuesday night, and it actually turned out really good. I crumbled some goat cheese on top of mine and it was really creamy.


I think the vegetables had a chance to soften up a bit more and the sauce was a little more flavorful. We are really getting good use out of 1 package of those jalapeno chicken sausages. I would so much rather eat them this way than in a bun. They add so much flavor to regular meals!

Can you tell who plated my dinner?

Wednesday's breakfast was completely random. We are out of bread, and I am still just not feeling like eating oats, so I just threw a bunch of things into my bag. Grapefruit, hard boiled egg, and mangoes...


The grapefruit is making me so happy every morning. I love fresh grapefruit! That combined with the mangoes is so very refreshing in the mornings. :) The egg is really just there so that I am not snacking for the rest of the day.

We went to they gym last night for a leg work out and got in a pretty good one in 30 minutes. I had to rush to get to the hospital on time, but I am glad we were able to get it in. Doing a leg work out, then running around a hospital floor for 4 hours, makes for some very tired and jello legs. Today I plan on doing cardio, arms, and abs since I have been pretty slack this week.

Which brings me to a good question. If I work out every single day on the weeks that I work 10-6, is it OK that I slack a bit on my 9-5 weeks when I don't feel like waking up before 7? Of course, I know it would be best to go every week, the same amount, but I feel pretty good knowing that I did 7 days in a row last week, so this week I am only getting in 4 days. Do you agree? Or am I just making up excuses for my laziness?

We do have one small problem in our house currently... a lot of these are leftover and being consumed... we don't want them to go bad! And, they are SO GOOD! Someone come over and eat them all so we don't have to!


Yesterday's Stats:
Calories (-) 44
Sodium (-) 71
Protein (+) 16

No comments:

Post a Comment