Recipes

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

keeping track

Since I posted last week about my obsession with Fooducate, I thought I would share a few other gems that make my life easier. I use my iPhone for everything health related. I use apps that give me ideas for work outs, to measure my outdoor runs, to calculate my daily eats, and to keep everything together. Most of them are free, because I like to try the free versions out before upgrading, but there are a few I have paid for or plan to upgrade and pay for.

BodyFitness - FREE

I use BodyFitness to give me ideas for work outs. When I get to the gym, sometimes I just lose sight of what I want or plan to do. So I look to this app for some guidance. If I know it is back day, I just search for some exercises in that body group. It provides a ton of exercises with step by step instructions on how to complete them. You can also log the work out so you can see it on a calendar view and keep track of the weight you are using.





RunKeeper - FREE or you can upgrade for $9.99

I use the Free version of this app and it works pretty well. I have a few complaints about it, like I would like for it to break up my mile splits to let me know my speed during each mile, so I am currently looking for a new app. My sister uses the Nike+GPS app and loves it, so I may be giving that one a shot here soon. The good things about RunKeeper are that it does a pretty good job of tracking your run and keeps a log of your previous runs so you can reflect back on them. I don't find it to be the most accurate on the mileage, though. I can run the exact same course and it will give me a different mileage each time. With that said, I have been using this app for the last year, and it has done a pretty good job for me. I think I am just ready for something a little more advanced.


MyNet Diary - FREE or you can upgrade for quite a bit of money.

This is by far my most relied upon and used app.  I use the free version and it has worked great for me. There are so many features to this app and it is so helpful in calculating my calories and logging my daily eating and working out. Basically, you set a goal for yourself. It calculates how much you should be taking in for calories, and then as you enter in your meals, it does all of the math for you. There are charts and reports you can run, so you can see when you have your worst times and how you can improve. It gives you tips on your meals as well. Also, it tells you if you are on track to your goal and if you are not, it tells you what you need to do to make it to your goal.


You can set your own limits as well. I want to monitor my sodium and protein levels, so I entered in how much of each of those I would like to achieve each day. As I enter in my food, it calculates those as well. You can enter in your measurements, your activities for the day, and your weight. It will manage all of them for you and provide you with the information you need to make it to your goals.


Another great thing about this app, is that it also has a desktop version. So, while I am at my computer, I can pull up the website and enter in my information from there.  Most store bought items are in the apps library, but some items you need to add in yourself. A lot of the recipes I use, obviously are not in there, so I create them. I use an online nutrition calculator to calculate the recipes facts. Then I enter them into MyNet Diary to create a new item. It works really well.

Also, as you update your progress, this app will adjust your nutritional needs. When I first started using this app, I was considered overweight and my BMI was around 26. The app gave me a target number of calories to try to stay within, which was around 1500 per day. Last week, I updated my profile with my current weight and it adjusted me to reflect that my weight is now considered 'normal' and my BMI of 24. In order to hit my goal of 130 lbs by this summer, I can now consume 1749 calories each day and I should continue to lose an average of 1-2 lbs per week, which is what I am striving for. It is a pretty cool app.

One bonus that I love, if you want to have ice cream or cookies after dinner, you can simply pull up the app, check out how your day has been, and if you have room, go for it! If you don't, maybe still go for it, but at least you will know.



The upgraded version is actually a pay by month sort of thing. I am fine with the free version for now, so I don't plan on making that change just yet.

So, there is my run down of apps that have worked well for me. I have tried a bunch of others, but these seem to be the best out there, for little to no cost.  I hope you find it helpful!

Recent Eats

Dinner last night was another recipe from the fabulous blog How Sweet It Is. Her recipes are so wonderful and pretty easy to make. Last night, was no exception.

We tried out the Caramelized Chicken with Jalapeno Cream. It was incredible. I am so excited for the leftovers I have for lunch!


It may not look very tasty, but I promise you, it was. I also sauteed some zucchini with sea salt and pepper to go with it and it was the perfect compliment. Did you know that I had never sauteed zucchini before? When Mike suggested it as our side item last night, I had to ask him how to do it. It was super simple, but I don't think I have ever made that before. Interesting little fun fact.



This morning's breakfast was another random compilation... I can not seem to get enough grapefruit these days. Mike surprised me with one that he got yesterday at the store and you would have thought he gave me a diamond necklace. I was so excited!


Sorry, I had already started in on my toast before I remembered to take a picture. :) That banana is still sitting here, since I felt pretty full after breakfast. It should make a great mid-morning snack.

Gym Time

I was thinking that by the time I got to the gym this morning I would only have time for cardio, but somehow I squeezed 4 back work outs in there. I did some pull ups, lat pull downs, sitting rows, and low back extensions. Then I did a 30 min run on the treadmill alternating between a speed of 6 with an incline of 1 and a speed of 7 with an incline of 0. It was good and sweaty.

Nutrition Goals

I know that I made mention of this on a previous post, but it was a long time ago, so maybe a refresher is needed. The stats you see below are my daily intake of calories, sodium, and protein. My calories and protein are based on the app I use and I try to stick with that. Currently, I am trying to keep my calories under 1,757 and I am trying to get at least 60 g of protein per day. I am actually supposed to get more like 76 g, but 60 is a pretty good amount, so that is what I base my goal on.

Sodium is completely my personal goal. I went to the doctor almost 2 years ago and my cholesterol and blood pressure were high and I was only 27 years old. A lot has changed since then (going off of medications, eating differently, etc), but I am still very concerned about the risks, so I have chosen to keep my sodium under 1,500 mg per day. Too much sodium causes your body to retain water and weight and you would be shocked to know how quickly 1,500 mg of sodium adds up in your diet. 1 teaspoon of table salt is equal to almost 2,300 mg of sodium. There are a lot of recommendations out there that say keeping sodium around 2,300 mg per day is good, but for me, I follow the American Heart Association's recommendations of 1,500 mg per day. Everyone has different bodies, medical history, and family history, so this is just what I choose to do. With that said, this is the reason why when I go over my sodium, I don't get too upset. I know that I have a bit of a cushion, with my target amount being so much lower than others, but I do a pretty good job sticking to it.

Hope you all have a great day!

Yesterday's Stats
Calories (-) 8
Sodium (+) 158
Protein (+) 20

No comments:

Post a Comment