Recipes

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

how low can you go?

If you remember correctly, I was very determined to run my last 5k faster than my best time. I succeeded in that goal by running 9:45 min miles and the entire 5k in 30 minutes and 15 seconds. One of my new years resolutions is that I run a sub 29 minute 5k.

I have 2 5k races coming up in the next 2 months and I really hope I can go ahead and achieve that goal. But really, I have no idea how quickly one can shave a minute and 16 seconds off of their race time. Is that something that takes longer than 6 months to achieve? Should I be happy if I can run the 5k 30 seconds faster? 

There is no doubt that I am in much better shape now than I was for that Thanksgiving Day race, but I wonder if I am any faster of a runner now. I have spent the entire winter running indoors, on a treadmill. That is surely not getting my body ready for any type of road race, but I guess the act of running several times a week is probably pretty good conditioning.

I am really hoping that I can get some outdoor runs in over the next few days. Hopefully that will give me a better idea of where I am and if I can get my times any lower.  My new shoes are not here yet, but I am hoping they show up sometime today like they are supposed to. I hear it is supposed to be in the 70s for the rest of the week, so I plan on taking full advantage. I am so ready for spring.

Recent Eats

I worked at the hospital last night, so Mike and I grabbed some dinner before I headed in. We decided to go to Jason's Deli, which every time I go, I wonder why I don't go more often. I love that most of their foods are whole and don't include most of the things that I avoid on a regular basis - HFCS, trans fat, MSG, artificial dyes and colors, etc. They are a little pricey for the amount of food you get, but I am willing to pay a little more for a quality product.

After having a whole paragraph dedicated to my sodium whoas yesterday, I tried to really stick to my 1500 mg limit yesterday. All of the sandwiches on the menu had pretty high sodium levels, and I wasn't in the mood for a salad, so I just went with what I wanted - The Turkey Wrap.


I got steamed veggies on the side and felt pretty good about my choices. Then I remembered one of my favorite parts about Jason's Deli...


Why doesn't every restaurant give you free soft serve with your meal?

Luckily, these cups are a perfect portion of about 1/2 cup, so as long as you stick to only 1 trip, it is fine. It was just what I needed to get me through a few hours of running around the hospital.

Gym Time

Today's gym session was only abs. After getting to bed a little after midnight, I couldn't seem to wake up at 6. I just needed that extra 30 minutes. I had planned on skipping cardio this morning anyway, since I am really hopeful we can squeeze a run in after work, but I at least wanted to get chest done as well. By the time I rolled into the gym, I had only 20 minutes before I needed to get in the shower. I figured I could do chest, legs and arms over the next 3 days, and 20 minutes is really the perfect amount of time for abs.

I did side extensions, leg lifts, front lean and rest on the stability ball, and another stability ball thingy. Basically, I put a stability ball between my ankles while laying flat on my back. I raise my legs to a 90 degree angle and take the stability ball out with my hands, hold the position and then put the ball back to lower back to start. It always seems to leave my abs quivering, so I guess it is a good one. :)

Have a great day!

Yesterday's Stats
Calories (-) 202
Sodium (+) 244
Protein (+) 16

No comments:

Post a Comment