Recipes

Friday, February 17, 2012

get yourself fooducated

I have touched on it here before, but I thought I would share one of my new favorite iPhone apps. Fooducate.

I am still getting used to this handy little helper, but so far, I love it. You simply scan the bar code of the food you are curious about and it provides you with a grade. It also gives you lots of tips and interesting information on the product and why it is good (or not good) for you.


Of course, as with anything, you must take what it has to say and do your own research, but it is a great starting point. Items that you have heard great things about, items that you have always wondered just how bad they could be, Fooducate will tell you.

Since we don't really buy too many processed or boxed items these days, the ones we do get, I want to be sure they are worth it. This app will tell you if there are questionable ingredients, too much of a particular ingredient, and whether or not the product is considered too processed. If the product gets a pretty bad rating, Fooducate will provide you with a recipe to try at home or other alternatives. I think it is going to be my new best friend. :)

(BTW, I get 0 compensation for this bloggy blog, so take it for what it is - MY OPINION!)

While we are talking about making healthy food choices... I had some glorious chinese food this week that was in no way healthy or the right choice, but it was delicious. When I order chinese food at home, I always get something fried, like general tso's chicken. But, when I am at work, I always order the chicken with garlic sauce.


You see those 2 Xs? That means extra, extra hot! This stuff is clear your sinuses hot. Need to refill the 24 oz tumbler of water hot. It was so very good.


Per my usual, I ate all of the veggies first, then a few pieces of chicken, until I was full to the brim. I tried a few bites of rice, but couldn't even finish half of this meal. I figured I would save the leftovers and eat it later, but after the week I have had with high sodium and calorie levels, I decided that wasn't a very good idea. There are plenty of better options for me right now.

Throwing food away is a pretty hard thing for me to do. When we don't make the best choices for dinner or lunch, I try to ensure that there are no leftovers, so I don't have to a. eat the bad for me food twice or b. throw anything away. Sometimes, there is just nothing I can do about it. Luckily, Mike took the leftovers off my hands and ate them for lunch one day. :)

Shopping Update
The only thing that I have actually purchased from my shopping frenzy yesterday was these. The price was right, they look very lightweight (and the reviews confirm it) and they only had 1 pair left in my size, so I felt like it was a win - win.

I am still deciding on the TOMS. I thought I wanted the navy pair, but now I am really leaning toward the gray. Of course every outfit I put on now, I think the gray pair would look great with... so I think that is going to be what I go with. My SIL has them in that color, but I am sure she won't mind being twins. :) I just need to figure out what size to buy. I hear they stretch out after wearing them, and I don't want them to be too big.

Everything else will have to wait until I have some time to go peruse the racks. I am pretty excited about my new running shoes though. I can't wait to take them out for a run after they get here! I am hoping that next week I will be able to get a few outdoor runs in.

Randoms
I have a few issues on my hands...

What?? Yes, they really do taste like cake. YUM!
Found these babies on my trip to the store to ONLY BUY BREAD! We weren't supposed to buy anything else until we finish our meal planning and grocery list... but how could I resist? I ate 4 last night, which is 2 servings... 2 stupidly small servings.


I have been resisting buying any girl scout cookies this year but my boss' daughters are selling them. I only got 2 boxes and am planning on rationing them out to Mike and myself over the next 2 months. haha. like they will make it that long... and I wonder why I can't lose that 1 final pound to hit my short term goal?


He pretty much just does what he wants. This is how he is most comfortable, touching Deluca, touching me, and kicking Mike away. :)

Have a good weekend everyone!

Yesterday's Stats
Calories (+) 25
Sodium (+) 780
Protein (+) 8

No comments:

Post a Comment