Recipes

Thursday, February 23, 2012

a cookie for breakfast and dessert for lunch

How gorgeous was it yesterday?

I decided to spend my 30 minute lunch break along the walking trail that my office park has. It is exactly 1 mile long and takes just 15 minutes or so to complete, so it is a nice way to break up the day.  I love the walking trail where I work. In the spring and fall, I usually spend my lunch breaks walking around, enjoying the scenery.


Work has been pretty busy lately, so it was nice to take a break, listen to some music, and enjoy the weather. I also got to break in my new TOMS!


I went with the slate gray and I love them. They are already pretty broken in and I have only worn them once. I am, however, so glad I went with a smaller size. I started out with a 6.5, but ended up returning them for a 6 since I was afraid they would stretch out to being too big. The only bad thing about them is that they make my feet look so small. I have really small feet for my height and size, but these just make them seem like nubs. Oh well, that is one thing I can't change!


My lunch yesterday, tasted like dessert. I am pretty sure my sister makes my niece and nephew something similar, which is fantastic, but I used a whole wheat wrap, added some natural peanut butter, sliced bananas and sliced apples. It was delicious.


I finished off the apple and banana in some leftover peanut butter and had a greek yogurt on the side. Such a great lunch. :)


When we got home from work last night, there were not 1, but 2 boxes waiting on my doorstep. I love packages!


My new tennis shoes had finally arrived!


They are exactly what I was hoping for. Lightweight, perfect fit, and super cute. I didn't have a whole lot of time before we had to leave for Ash Wednesday service at church, so I could only take them out for a quick spin. I did a short, 15 minute jog around the neighborhood, to make sure I liked the fit of my shoes. It was a nice run and I definitely love my new shoes.

Those legs? All natural color, baby! haha
The weather was perfect for an outdoor run, I only wish I could have gone a little longer. The sky was really pretty too, so I snapped a quick picture before it got too dark.


Mike made me an egg sandwich for dinner before we scooted out the door. Fried egg, pepper jack cheese and tomato on toast. Yuumm!


We got home a little after 8 from church, and I felt a little hungry. I had a feeling I would with such a small dinner, so I made a rather odd snack. It tasted amazing though, so I have no shame in sharing. Whole wheat tortilla, a little shredded cheddar, a little goat cheese, heated in the microwave, and then topped with salsa and hot sauce.


Mike was giving me weird looks for this combination, but I think he was just jealous. ;) Really, he has an aversion to goat cheese... I can not understand why. It is the most amazing cheese on earth, in my opinion.

Before heading off to bed last night, I made a breakfast cookie. The other box that came yesterday was an order from OpenSky. If you are not familiar, it is a shopping website where you follow certain people and they endorse their favorite products, which you can then purchase those products at a reduced cost, depending on the deal of the day. You fill out the things you are interested in, choose some celebs or experts to follow, and they send you opportunities to purchase products they love.

I have been looking for a protein powder that I could use in smoothies and energy balls to up my levels a bit. I am trying to avoid a lot of soy based protein, since it is a little over processed and can potentially cause some health issues that I am not very interested in. Soy products are pretty hard to avoid since they are in almost EVERYTHING so if I can avoid it in any way, I try to do so. Especially in a supplement powder that I can control.


Anyway, one of my favorite bloggers - The Fitnessista - is a big fan of Sun Warrior Protein Powder. I have looked at this vegan, non soy-based, powder before, but with a price tag of almost $50, it wasn't happening. Here is where OpenSky made it's debut.

Since I follow Gina on OpenSky, she had a deal on Sunday that offered Sun Warrior in chocolate or vanilla for only $35. Still, $35 was a little more than I had planned on spending, but I opened the e-mail anyway and found that OpenSky had given me a $12 credit in my account. They randomly do that. They will send an e-mail saying "you have $10 in your credits to use before x date." I haven't really found anything that I absolutely need, but this was a great deal. I couldn't pass it up. (Although, I am secretly hoping that I hate this stuff so that I don't want to ever buy it at full price.)

Gina has a bunch of recipes on her blog, but one that I have always been interested in trying is the Breakfast Cookie.  I gave it a try last night so that I could have it on my way to the gym this morning.


I couldn't even taste the powder, except that it is chocolate and my cookie tasted chocolatey. There was no chalky flavor and the stevia that is used in the powder did not leave me with a nasty aftertaste like it normally does. I will have to try it in a smoothie to be sure, but so far, it tastes pretty great.

The cookie was really good but a tad dry. Gina recommends adding in toppings such as bananas, pumpkin, etc., but I only had 1 banana on hand and wanted to have it for my lunch today. So, my cookie was oats, chocolate protein powder, unsweetened chocolate almond milk, cinnamon, and unsweetened coconut. Next time I will have to add bananas or something to make it a little less dry, but overall, I really liked it. It tasted a lot like a no-bake cookie, which I am a huge fan of.

Gym Time

I headed to the gym much earlier this morning and spent a full hour doing some weight training. I did a full chest work out (flat bench press, incline bench press, decline bench press, dips, and skull crushers) and then decided to go ahead and get my leg work out in for the week. I did squats, lunges, butt extensions, calf raises, and leg presses. I felt pretty worked by the time I left.

Tomorrow is FRIDAY! Oh gosh, I couldn't be more excited. This is the first Friday in months that Mike and I have no plans. I am so excited to get home, get into my pjs and relax on the couch, without having to make lunches, pack my gym bag, etc, etc... It will be glorious. Next week, we only have a 2 day work week and then we are heading to by God, West Virginia for 4 days full of skiing and playing! Can.not.wait!

Have a good Thursday everyone!

Yesterday's Stats
Calories (-) 172
Sodium (+) 71
Protein (+) 21 (!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment