Recipes

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Weekend Happenings and Jalapeno Popper Turkey Burgers

I thought I would do an entirely separate post on the rest of our weekend, because we jammed a lot in. We got some major cleaning done, finally got around to finishing our foyer and downstairs bathroom, and ate some amazing food. This is going to be a pretty long post, so there is your warning. :)

On Friday night, we met some friends out to dinner at Beasley's Chicken & Honey. Remember how we went to that burger and liquor place a few weeks ago called Chuck's and Fox's? Well, the same owner, also has 2 other restaurants. One of them is Beasley's.


I was super excited to try this place... fried chicken? honey? local, fresh made sides? Count me in. We got there and had to wait just a bit before a table was ready, so we each got a beer. A beer in mason jars, which could be the coolest thing ever. Have I shared my love for mason jars? Well, we can get to that at another time, but let's just say, I heart them.


The beer that I had was a sweet potato beer, but I can't remember the name of it. It was really, really good though.



Mike and I each ordered the Chicken Biscuit with a side. I got mashed yukon gold potatoes with gravy and Mike got the pimento macaroni and cheese custard... holy crap. so. good!


I wasn't a huge fan of the biscuit itself, so I pretty much just had the chicken and pickled green tomatoes (yes, really). Just like Chuck's, Beasley's was decorated really simply, but it was really cute.


After dinner, we went out for another drink. Thankfully, the bar we went to happened to have my favorite brown ale in the world... Bell's. So delicious. I had 1.5 of those and then we headed home for the night.


Saturday morning, we headed to the gym for a full work out. We planned on being there a while to really get in a good chest and cardio work out. We ended up meeting our friends, Fred and Lindsay there, and worked out a bit with them. We spent nearly an hour and 45 minutes at the gym, and we felt WORKED by the time we had left. It was a great gym day.

When we finished at the gym, Lindsay and I had some errands to run, so I showered at her house and had a late breakfast. She has recently started adding barley to her oats, so I was excited to try them. They are amazing. The chewy texture is sooo good!

I threw some dry cereal, blueberries, chia seeds, and peanut butter into my oats as well. I was so full and satisfied!

Mike and Fred decided they would get chinese for a post workout meal and both regretted it pretty quickly... silly boys.


New Recipe
Saturday afternoon was a combination of cleaning our house, finishing up some house projects, and making an awesome dinner. For some reason, I was in the mood for crappy food. I have been thinking about jalapeno poppers a lot lately and really wanted to make some wrapped in bacon... thanks for planting that seed, Lindsay! Thankfully, we didn't have any bacon at home, and I wasn't going to buy any, so I decided to try to make a new recipe; Jalapeno Popper Turkey Burgers.... they were a smashing success.


Jalapeno Popper Turkey Burgers

1 lb ground turkey
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
1/4 cup oatmeal
1 poblano pepper, 1/2 chopped, 1/2 cut for topping
1 egg
1/4 tsp garlic nuggets
1/4 tsp onion powder
Sea Salt and Pepper
1 tbsp cream cheese - for topping
1 tbsp cheddar cheese - for topping


Saute poblano peppers and set aside (I also sauteed some mushrooms for Mike's burger). Mix the ground turkey, jalapeno pepper, oatmeal, egg, spices, and the chopped poblano in a large bowl. Once mixed, divide into 6 patties and set aside. Heat skillet to a medium heat with a small amount of olive oil in the pan. Once hot, begin to cook the burgers, uncovered. Flip the burgers when they are halfway cooked and cover to cook the rest of the way.


Once the burgers are done, leave in pan and add the cheddar cheese and cream cheese to the top. After those have melted a bit, top the burger with the peppers (or mushrooms).


These burgers were beyond amazing. They were spicy and creamy, and exactly what I was craving.



On the side, I made some sweet potato fries seasoned with EVOO, Sea Salt, Pepper, and red pepper flakes. My new favorite way to make them. This was 1 potato, it was huge!




We got some sweet potatoes in this week's GoLocal produce box, so we will probably be having them for the next few days. All the peppers in the above recipe were from our produce box last week (sorry, I forgot to take a picture). This is what this past Saturday's box looked like.



Grapefruit!!!! So excited about that. Also, spinach, green beans, and more purple cabbage! I will be sauteing that bad boy up this week.

Pinning
Finally, and then I promise this post will be done... my pinterest projects. We all know how pinterest works and how it is a great place to get creative ideas and projects. Well, I have been wanting to create a collage of our wedding photos in our foyer since we painted it almost 5 months ago... yeah, it took us 5 months to finally finish what we started. Ugh...

Here it is! And I couldn't love it more. I love the black on green and how it fills the wall space.


We also finished the powder room decor, which is connected to the foyer. I love the canvas squares, but I am still not sure I love this color green. It is a little too limey for me, but I am trying to see if it will grow on me.


Mike made the frames and we bought some fabric last week to cover them with. These things cost a whopping $14 to make and I have a ton of fabric leftover. I may want to make this into a 6 or 9 square piece... but not today.


I hope everyone had a great weekend.

BTW - I had the the new chobani apple cinnamon flavor yogurt for a snack today and it is sooo good! Thanks for the recommendation, Lindsay! I can't wait to try the blood orange tomorrow!

Lunch yesterday, party leftovers

Monday's Stats:

Calories (-) 78
Sodium (+) 1579 :( but expected with the leftovers...
Protein (+) 33 (!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment