Recipes

Friday, February 24, 2012

just a number

There are quite a few reasons why today is a great day.

#1 - It is FRIDAY!!!! My favorite day of the week. The only thing that would make this day better is if I had the day off from work. Oh well.

#2 - It has been a GORGEOUS morning. I drove to work with my sunroof open, blasting music, feeling great. Always a good start to the day.

#3 -I got a haircut last night for the first time in probably a year... I am feeling fresh!

#4 - I have FINALLY hit my short term goal! I am a full 10 lbs lighter than I was when I started this blog, which is pretty much the best feeling ever. I am just about 2 months past the planned date, but I will take it.

To me, weight is really just a number. I know that I have set my goals in the form of pounds, but that is more so I can actually measure something and recognize the results. I weigh myself every single day, and usually my weight fluctuates anywhere from 2-6 lbs in any given day. I honestly could care less how much I weigh, as long as I feel great, and my clothes fit well and look nice. Weighing myself just gives me a measurable point to start from and determine if I am on the right track. My goals are simply a number put out there, to which I think I will feel the best at, and be happiest with. It is really just a starting target, that I will reassess as I get closer.

With the short term goal out of the way, it is time to focus on my long term goal. My original long term goal was to lose 25 lbs by the time this blog hits the 1 year mark (for some reason I thought it was 30, but looking back, it was only 25, which seems much more appropriate now). I think I am finally over my plateau, for now, so I am excited to see what the coming months have in store for me.

I actually hit the goal weight a few weeks ago, and it has been bouncing around ever since. I have a rule that I will not announce a certain number of pounds lost until it has been at least 3 consecutive days of that same weight. Starting on Tuesday morning of this week, my weight has remained the exact same, even dipping a little lower on a few occasions, so I feel like it can finally be official.

Even more exciting news? Yesterday, MyNet Diary gave me all green checks and positive marks on my eating for the day. Each day, you can review an analysis of your meals and progress and the app gives you suggestions and tips for how to improve. Normally, I have a pretty even amount of positives and negatives in my eating, especially because I do not get enough fiber in my breakfast and usually go over the daily recommended saturated fat. But yesterday, my analysis looked like this.


It helps to know where I am lacking and where I need to improve. It makes me feel like I am finally getting the hang of this, but I will continue to rely on this app for my daily recording.

Recent Eats:

Yesterday's lunch was a Trader Joe's Vegetable Masala Burger on 10 grain toast with a greek yogurt and a bosc pear on the side. I am a big fan of these veggie burgers since they are actually all vegetable and have a great flavor.





Since I knew I wouldn't be home until late from getting my haircut, I had asked Mike if he could get dinner going for me. When I got home, everything was pretty much done, so all I had to do was saute the vegetables we were having on the side.


I had pinned this recipe for Twice Baked Butternut Squash a while ago and was so excited to have it this week. Ours did not turn out nearly as pretty as the original, but the taste was spot on.


 We made a few changes to this recipe, based on what we had on hand and Mike's overall hatred for soft cheeses. We swapped out the Gorgonzola for goat cheese for me and cheddar/cream cheese for Mike. We also used onions instead of shallots. I loved this meal and I am pretty excited to have it again for lunch today.


Since you know my obsession with iced tea already, I thought you might be interested to know that I have figured out how to make a single serving of iced tea from our Keurig. I wasn't really sure how it would work, but I just put a big tea bag in the k-cup holder, filled a large tumbler with ice, and let the Keurig do it's thing. Perfect for times when I have run out and don't want to wait until another batch has brewed.



Gym (no) Time

Each night, as Mike and I are getting ready for bed, we discuss what time we will wake up and leave for work/the gym. We ride together as much as possible so I normally drop him off at work and then go to the gym to work out and get ready. Each night we plan the times based on when Mike has to be at work and how much time I want to have at the gym. Today, I needed at least 30-40 minutes to get in some good cardio, since I wasn't planning on doing anything else.

We fail at this attempt 85% of the time. Usually, the time we plan on waking up, is delayed by 10-15 minutes. Usually, the time we leave for work is delayed by 10-15 minutes. This morning, we were delayed by about 30 minutes, which didn't leave me much time for any type of work out.

By the time I dropped Mike off and made through the doors of the gym, I had roughly 20 minutes until I needed to shower. Instead of getting on the treadmill or getting in a less than stellar cardio work out, I played a little basketball.


It was empty today, so I spent the entire 20 minutes running back and forth doing lay ups. Then, I decided to run and dribble the basketball for 10 laps around the gym, which left me with my heart racing and a good sweat going, so I guess it is something.

I had made another breakfast cookie for this morning and this time added cooked barley, chocolate chips, and ground flax seeds. It most definitely made the cookie much better and chewier.


I hope you all have a great weekend. We don't have too many exciting plans, but Sunday, we have to take the pups to Grandma's house. Sadness. :(

TGIF!

Yesterday's Stats
Calories (-) 268
Sodium (-) 119
Protein (+) 2

No comments:

Post a Comment