Recipes

Friday, February 10, 2012

A Fishy Situation

I am not a huge fish fan. I know it is oober healthy, and absolutely something that I do not get enough of in my diet, but, I just don't love making it or eating it around here. When I am near the beach, I eat a lot of fish, and always order it, but in Raleigh, I just don't find myself wanting it very often.

I feel very intimidated about making fish, also. I usually over cook it, because I am afraid of under cooking it, so it tends to turn me off. Fish is also much more expensive, especially if we buy fresh, so, it usually does not end up at our house. On a final note, I also can't really bring it in for lunch, since it will smell up the whole office, and usually, it doesn't taste nearly as good the next day.

I know I just need to experiment more with fish recipes, and eventually I will get better about cooking and flavoring it. Last night, I figured I would give it a try...


Haha... kidding... no difficult dishes here, but I did make a really yummy dinner last night out of this package. My fooducate iPhone app tells me that this little package is "a great way to add protein to my diet without the saturated fats found in red meats. It is also a great source of Omega-3 fatty acids and this food is minimally processed with only 3 ingredients." Thank you, fooducate, you are so informative...

So the dinner I made last night, pretty darn good. And super simple since it was almost 8 by the time we got home from the gym. I have been wanting to make a white fish and bean salad for some time, and this was finally the perfect opportunity for a no-cook dinner.


White Fish - White Beans, No Problem

1 package of chunk light tuna (this is a single serving, but I made 3 servings out of it, you are welcome to add more)
1 can of northern white beans or white kidney beans, drained and rinsed.
2 teaspoons of lime juice
1 tsp italian seasonings
Sea Salt
Pepper
Other various fresh vegetables and cheese if wanted
Salad greens

Mix everything together and throw on top of salad greens... DONEZO! I added goat cheese, red peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers.


Yesterday, Mike and I went out for lunch, as we try to do a few times a month since we work so close to each other. It is nice to get away every once in a while and not have to worry about packing a lunch the night before. We went to Meridian Cafe, per usual, which I know I have talked about several times before. It is just so good.

Every Thursday, they do a chicken burrito and they are pretty much famous for it. I had never tried it, so I decided to get it yesterday. It was really good. Mike ended up eating the other half because it was so huge.


They also always have a huge variety of salads, so I went with the strawberry, feta, and spinach salad. It was also very good.


My office is planning to move to a different office in the coming months, and I will be really, really sad to not have such easy access to Meridian. :( Hopefully, Mike will bring me lunch from there after I move. winkwink

After work, we went to one of the more "popular" gym locations and it was a freaking train wreck. I was quickly reminded why we hate going after work so much. We had to wait for machines, wait to do certain work outs, and it took over an hour to get in a roughly 45 min work out. Never again... I will go to the crappy gym from now on after work. We got in a pretty quick, but decent arm work out and then did 30 minutes of cardio.

This morning, I went to the gym to get an ab work out in, but my legs were not really feeling cardio less than 12 hours after the last one, so I decided to just focus on the abs.

Lunch today was leftovers from last night's dinner, an apple, and a Fage greek yogurt. They were 5 for $5 at the store last night, so I figured I would try out some of their new flavors that I hadn't tried before. Today I tried the strawberry goji, and it was pretty good. Although, I only tasted strawberry... but to be honest, I don't even know if goji has a taste?


This weekend we will be just hanging out. Mike's younger sister and her fiance are coming into town tonight and we are going to make some pizzas at home. Then tomorrow, my friend Heather and her fiance are coming and we are going to make steaks for dinner.

Should be a fun weekend with lots of relaxation! I hope everyone has a great weekend as well!

Yesterday's Stats:
Calories (-) 32
Sodium (+) 400
Protein (+) 11

No comments:

Post a Comment